(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden stub-out for shower drain?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The amount of coverage you get on the back of a tile is entirely a function of the craftsmanship, not the type of mortar used.

Comparing the shear strength (what it would take to shear a tile off the substrate) between a good dryset and a modified (I chose to look at Custom's products, but others are similar) shows a shear strength (after a standard 28-day cure) with dryset of 244psi and 375psi for their modified. While that may look like a useful difference, consider this...with a dryset (this was on porcelain, other tile types would differ in the bond strength), on a typical 12x12" tile, that's 35,136 pounds or over 17 TONS. Before the thing sheared off the wall (or floor), the structure would likely have long since failed.

I've seen some glass and other tile in Jordan that was over 2,000 years old...still intact, walked on for millenia. They didn't have thinsets back then, only cement. The Romans knew how to build things to last. They also had good craftsman. They had to be otherwise they may have been sold into slavery or fed to the lions (wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that with some of the hacks out there - craftsmanship quaility would improve dramatically)! I don't feel deprived by having to 'only' use a dryset with certain products. And, if you could get in contact with someone who knows at a tile producer, they'd probably allow you to use a dryset, if you really wanted to, and it was specified. But, you should follow the manufacturer's instructions - it doesn't hurt to actually ask them why or for dispensation, though.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Oh yeah ... forgot to say ... it was 2"!

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Haven't posted photos here, before - could figure it out, but am sans camera at this location right now. I'll post a couple when I come back for holidays and start on the bathroom. Thanks, again!

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Sorry Jim I'm not trying to twist your words just the whole what tile works with Kerdi is confusing and I'm trying to make sure people are spared the hassle.

JW
    John, have you attended a Schluter training course? If not then you should....also, why are you trying to keep people from being confused about using Kerdi when you are confused and have not attended a Schluter training course. Most of the people from the John Bridge Forum that post on this forum have been to the Schluter training course...even I have.

Get with the Schluter rep in your area to see about going to a training course, they pay for you to stay there and take the course and you pay to get there. Then you will understand how to use the Schluter products and not provide confusing or incorrect info. http://www.schluter.com/media/BurnabyBC-2011-12.pdf
    Pat Harris
    A HandyWOMAN Service, LLC
    "Why call a handyman when you can call A HandyWOMAN?

Quote Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
    John, have you attended a Schluter training course? If not then you should....also, why are you trying to keep people from being confused about using Kerdi when you are confused and have not attended a Schluter training course. Most of the people from the John Bridge Forum that post on this forum have been to the Schluter training course...even I have.

Get with the Schluter rep in your area to see about going to a training course, they pay for you to stay there and take the course and you pay to get there. Then you will understand how to use the Schluter products and not provide confusing or incorrect info. http://www.schluter.com/media/BurnabyBC-2011-12.pdf
    oh! that's gonna leave a mark, methinks.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Blog Entries

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Hi John,your inbox is full. Tried to PM you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Sorry Bob. Just deleted a wack of old PM's - What's up? I hope you aren't trying to send me a PM with the Schluter workshop link on it!
    nah, I wouldn't do that.