Pressure testing a new loop before connecting

Users who are viewing this thread

nh.hiker

Reaction score
I've just finished a lengthy basement renovation that involved replacing the old base board with shiny new Slant Fin. Prior to the remodel, the basement and first floor where on the same thermostat which made the basement pretty warm when the first floor was comfortable. So I wanted it on its own zone.

During the remodel, I had the boiler replaced (System2000) and they piped in stubs and a zone valve for the basement loop. I'm finished now and wanted to pressure test the loop before connecting back to the boiler.

I don't have a gauge that I can solder in. I've got the material to cap one end and put a valve stem on the other. I'll need need to use a tire pressure gauge.

My question is, how much pressure to use and how long do I need to test?

Thanks for the help

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
Every manufacturer of PEX tubing specifies an air or water test, they range from 30 to 100lbs/sq.in. and the test may last five minutes to 24 hours, you should use the manufacturer's spec but for my radiant floor heating installations here in Minneapolis I generally use 60#/24hrs. or 100#/15 minutes. Please do not leave 100# pressure on the system while pouring cement or gypsum based products or in any case leave the high pressure test unattended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks