Want traditional style ADA/comfort height toilet with good bowl wash

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrea in PA

Reaction score
I am looking for a traditional sytle toilet with good bowl wash, preferably one that is ADA or comfort height.
I currently have a Toto Promenade (purchased in 2002). It is in their lowest preforming tier (gravity). Although it hasn't clogged since the first six months of installation, the bowl wash is terrible and I have to clean it almost every time my husband uses it.
I was considering a Champion flush toilet (traditional styled), but after reading the consumer comments here, that is out.
I was also considering a Kohler Bancroft which is comfort height with the Class 5 flushing system. However, after reading the comments about the poor bowl wash on the Cimarron, I am worried that this problem hasn't been corrected.
Anyone have any positive bowl wash experiences with the Bancroft? None of the Kohlers with the Ingenium flush system made it on Terry's list (and the comfort height ones are over $500).
So, I am back to a Toto. Now after 3 years, they do have two traditional styles with G-Max flushing and comfort height - the CLAYTON and the DARTMOUTH. Everyone seems to love the Toto Drake and that has G-Max, so are the Clayton and Dartmouth just as good?
I understand the Sanigloss coating is best for bowl wash problems, however Toto isn't making either of those with the Sanigloss.
If I would get the Toto, I would appreciate any advice about ordering one off the web. The only dealer in our area is very expensive if you don't go through a plumber. I read that some people have ordered them on the internet with good results. Who did you order from? I see them for sale on *********, the inside store, ******************, ****************.
Even off the web, they are about $100 more than a Kohler or Champion from Home Depot or Lowes. I hope there is great bowl wash with a Toto G-Max and that it is worth the extra money.
I appreciate any and all advice.
Thank you,
Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Clayton, Dartmouth are good ADA style toilets.

Bowl wash is fairly good, in that it is even around the bowl.
I prefer them over the Promenade.
There are no 1.6 gallon toilets that are as good as the old 3.5's for bowl wash.

Toto has a dealer locator on their web site
www.totousa.com

I prefer to hand deliver toilets, breakage by shipping companies is just a fact of life.

Last edited:

Andrea in PA

Reaction score
I'm getting the Clayton

Terry -
I just wanted to thank you for your advice. I decided to follow it and not order a toilet from the web as you really know your plumbing and toilets.
I'm getting the Clayton from a Toto retailer. Our local place did not have it in stock, so I called 4 others within 30 miles of us. One had it in stock and my husband will pick it up tomorrow and install it himself (hopefully) over the weekend. He has installed toilets before and I printed your son's instructions for the Drake, so I am optimistic.
I just wish we lived near you, so you could install it (my husband really wants to call a plumber, but we don't know a good one). And it would have been cheaper. The Clayton is costing $440 plus tax. Some of the retailers wanted over $500. My parents don't understand why we didn't go to Home Depot or Lowes and get one for under $200. I'm hoping I will love it.
Thanks so much,
Andrea

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks