3 Way Switch "issue"

Users who are viewing this thread

mikestaps

Reaction score
I currently have one outdoor light mounted on the house operated by a 3 way switch in the house and a 3 way switch in the garage. I would like to set it up so that a light mounted on the garage would come on with the one mounted on the house. The issue is that I have no way to run any additional wiring between the house and garage without doing some major digging. (as the easiest way I know of would be to run a 12-2 between the two lights so they are in parallel...)
I have sketched up a rough diagram of what is going on. I am not sure if this is even something that I can set up but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks

3-way-diagram.jpg

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
No way to do it in the traditional manner without adding a wire.

You could use an X-10 switch or add a spring wound or electronic timer switch to light on the garage.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is that most likely you do not have both sides of the 120 volt line at the garage switch. You just have the hot lead coming in, and back out on the travelers. So there is no way to power the bulb with the wires that exist there now.

mikestaps

Reaction score
The problem is that most likely you do not have both sides of the 120 volt line at the garage switch. You just have the hot lead coming in, and back out on the travelers. So there is no way to power the bulb with the wires that exist there now.

I do have full access to the sub-panel that is powering this system in the garage. I can run wires as needed in the garage. Could I just run a white wire from the panel to the light and then the black from the switch? (doing this would prolly violate code thou!)

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I do have full access to the sub-panel that is powering this system in the garage. I can run wires as needed in the garage. Could I just run a white wire from the panel to the light and then the black from the switch? (doing this would prolly violate code thou!)
Yes this is a very bad idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Could I just run a white wire from the panel to the light and then the black from the switch?

And what would you connect the black wire to? the "switched wire" runs from the far 3 way to the light, NOT back to the garage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks