(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Promenade rocks on above-tile closet flange

Hybrid View

Default Toto Promenade rocks on above-tile closet flange

Just got my Toto Promenade installed and it has one tiny issue:
    The closet flange is on top of the tile (flush, not warped or spaced) and is pretty wide as closet flanges go. It sticks out a good 1/2" or more outside of the closet bolts. It is probably original to the house, 1978 or so.

I got it shimmed level, but basically the lip of the base is sitting on shims all the way around. that seems like a good recipe for cracking a toilet over time. Gaps range from around 1/8" to 1/4".

So now I'm considering all options:

1) Replace. I can relocate this toilet to the upstairs bath -- I know that flanges is flush with the tile because I tiled that one myself about a year ago. Is there a better choice that will fit around a surface mount closet flange?

2) Rubber gaske. I could try this product for around $30: http://www.blackswanmfg.com/BIGFOOTII.htm Does this work well in these situations?

3) Just use my shims and caulk them into place

4) Rework. Redoing the closet flange and tile would be a last resort. We have a major kitchen remodel on and I just don't have the time.

Any advice on this? Thanks.
    Anthony

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does the bowl sit down of the floor if no wax is used?

I will have to check. I made the rookie mistake of installing it without a dry fit. I was over excited to get it delivered and the old toilet fit just fine with one or two shims for leveling. It did not even dawn on me that I could have a problem.

The thing rocked quite a bit before I realized I needed shims, so I am going to have to pull it to put on a new wax ring. When I do that, I'll scrape off the old wax and do a dry fit this time to confirm. Hopefully I can get to that tonight.

Thanks.

Hi Terry,
    I meant to get on this, but we decided to finish the kitchen before worrying about the rocking toilet. The shims are keeping it pretty sturdy for now and that's the least used bath in the house (especially with the kitchen apart).

It's a really nice toilet, though. The fact it only fills for about three seconds let's me hear how much money I'm saving (it replaced a 3gpf monster)

Unless your floor is not level, shims should not be needed. That's why you fit it over the flange without wax. I suspect you did not compress the toilet onto the wax when you set it. The wax should be a room temperature before installing, and you should use you body weight to compress the toilet. Do not rely on the flange bolts to pull the toilet horn into the wax. I would also suggest you use a standard size plain wax ring not one with a plastic funnel.

Floor is pretty level. The whole thing sits pretty even off the floor. The shims are to prevent rocking (for now anyways). I used the smallest wax ring I could find with no insert. I'll get some pics and pull the whole thing here once I get my disaster of a kitchen remodel done.