(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Walk-in bathtub reversed drain

Default Walk-in bathtub reversed drain

Hello,
    I am a newbee to the forum, but here goes: I am installing a walk-in bathtub that requires me to reverse the handing of the tub and drain. By design, there is about 3" of space between the bathroom floor and the floor of the bathtub to run a 1-1/2" drain pipe. The drain/vent assembly I have is a cable operated schd 40 pvc ending with a sanitary tee. The floor is a concrete slab.
    My 2 questions are:
    1. Can I run directly from the new tub drain to the existing ptrap from the old tub, about 46" of run with about 3/4" pitch?
    2. Has anyone seen a drain/vent that points horizontal towards the back of the tub?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gethammer; 11-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.

That would mean you've created a "running trap", so no.

Most of those tubs are basically "portable" units and as such their drain setups SELDOM are installed the same as a "regular tub", which is why they make provision for a "makeshift" drain and water connection.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

The installation I am doing will be as permanent as the original bathtub that was removed. I suppose the standard way to install the drain line would be to cut open the slab, extend the drain and vent lines to the new drain location. I was just asking if running 46" laterally before dropping into the original ptrap is acceptable? Will the drain operation be affected? The bathtub is designed to be retrofit inplace of a standard 5ft tub space. the need to reverse the drain is to allow tub door access when other fixtures are close by.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A drain line often collects junk on the walls. Stuff like soap scum, oils, hair, lint, etc. This can get pretty nasty as it festers, grows mold, and decomposes. You don't really want a 46" long pipe collecting that sort of stuff. The trap blocks those smells from coming back into the room. If it is like 4' away, there's a lot of room for it to accumulate...you want the trap much closer.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Don't mistake the overflow assembly for a vent. A plumbing vent to prevent trap siphoning must be installed downstream of the trap.

Normally a bathtub drain is only 1-1/2", which means the vent for the trap cannot be 5' away. Moving the drain will mean moving the trap and the vent through the roof.