Monoflow vs. Strait loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter57

Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm replacing a 60 year old copper/monoflow system with PEX, and am considering a strait through loop. I could use some advice.

The heating is for the first floor, 1 zone, about 750 sq. ft. I plan to branch off from a common 1 inch PEX feed into two 3/4 inch loops of approx. same size. The baseboard is Hi output slantfin (80) with 3/4 inch copper. Strait thru is so much simpler than monoflow, but are their disadvantages with strait thru? Why was monoflow even used in the first place? Am I doing the right thing??

Also, do I need bleeders in a strait thru loop? (I will put shutoff valves in each zone)

Regards, Peter

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
With monoflow Tees, you can shut off each baseboard radiator without shutting off the flow for the entire loop. If you have no need to be able to shut off individual radiators in the loop, I don't know if you'd need those tees. I never worked with PEX, but I've read that the effective sizes are different than those of copper because of the wall thickness, so you'd need to go up a size to get the same flow rating.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go with loop piping, there is way less pump head loss. I would bring each loop back to the boiler manifold rather than split 1" pex.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Go with loop piping, there is way less pump head loss

I doubt that that is true because a Mono-Flo system uses a larger main "loop" which creates LESS flow restriction.

Peter57

Reaction score
Thanx. I don't really need to shut off each baseboard. I've resched the PEX wall thickness and you're right, it is a bit smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks