(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Producing a well with gas

I think that we are going to try a couple of things on this well. First, we are going to use a sanitary seal to act as a packer. It is our hope that there will be enough pressure to make the water rise to surface in a 1 pipe. This is unlikely. After this I think we will try one of the grundfos pumps. If the grundfos pump does not work, we might try a sort of double cooling jacket. With one jacket installed normally and the other inverted. I am told that this encourages the water to flow into the pump and the gas to rise past the pump. The problem as I see it is getting something like this to fit down a five inch well.

I wonder how an old cylinder pump would work.

As far as the check valve, yes I thing we would eliminate it. This will be a well with a sanitary well seal and will have to drain back to keep from freezing. So we would normally drill a hole in the check valve or the drop pipe. In this case maybe we should remove the check all together if you think that it would help. I do however think that the Goulds pump we are using as a test pump now does not have a check. I believe that our drillers take out the check to make the pump easier to pull out of the well.
    rshackleford

Default Helical pump

These guys http://www.conergy.us/DesktopDefault.aspx have a helical pump. The ekectronics are all above ground. Water bearings, stainless rotor in rubber, power is DC (designed for solar) and can be powered from an AC power supply.

I have one down 500 ft. Pumping from almost empty well and pressurizing a tank to 60 psi I have never seen it draw more than 500 watts and usually less.

I would guess it should not care about gas unless it is so plentiful and undisolved that it effectively makes the pump run "dry".

Previous member

They used to be Dankoff Solor I believe. They are a bit pricey but from what I have heard work very well.

I had one thought on this old thread Shack. If you are going to pull the check valve from the pump, you want to be sure you have a high water level. Water running back down the droppipe can run the pump backwards pretty fast, and if it ever decided to start during this moment. You could have an impeller less pump or a pump with a broken shaft. I have seen this condition occur on deep well turbines without anti-reverse spin assemblies in the motor. What a mess.

bob...

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    They used to be Dankoff Solor I believe. They are a bit pricey but from what I have heard work very well.

I had one thought on this old thread Shack. If you are going to pull the check valve from the pump, you want to be sure you have a high water level. Water running back down the droppipe can run the pump backwards pretty fast, and if it ever decided to start during this moment. You could have an impeller less pump or a pump with a broken shaft. I have seen this condition occur on deep well turbines without anti-reverse spin assemblies in the motor. What a mess.

bob...
    Wire in a time delay relay such that when the pump shuts off it can not restart until a predetermined period of time has elapsed.

You could monitor the induced voltage on the motor wires when water is dropping down to determine how long it will take for your delay.