(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Please look at my washing machine/utility sink drain setup...need advice.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

In the diagram he wrote in "VENT TEE FOR STANDPIPE VENT". A vent tee is a vent tee, it is not the same as a sanitary tee, which appears to be what is actually being pointed to.

Here, we cannot use a tee as a vent take-off, we must use a combo. Some inspectors might let it slide, but all inspectors will accept the combo, so why take the chance.

Dave did you make any changes from the setup pictured in post #31 due to the fact you have fixtures draining into the vent from a different floor?

If not how is the setup working?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The fittings as they were placed were correct on post 31.

The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting. A santee can only be used on the vertical for venting. It seems some non-plumbers are giving input on things they know nothing about and confusing things.

However I did notice on post 31 that the washer drain looks to be 1.5" instead of 2"
    All the waste piping there should be 2.0" and only the vents and the trap arm for the sink can be 1.5"

A washer is 2.0" with 1.5" vent
    A laundry sink is 2" with 1.5" vent and 1.5" trap arm.

And of course, you can always use larger vents if needed.
    In IPC, they may require 3.0" after the vent on the washer on the waste side for suds control.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-27-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The fittings as they were placed were correct on post 31.

The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting. A santee can only be used on the vertical for venting. It seems some non-plumbers are giving input on things they know nothing about and confusing things.
    You say the fittings are correct but then in your next sentence you start out saying "The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting". I reinserted the photo and numbered the fittings.

The only horizontal vent section would be between fittings 4 and 5.

1.Are you suggesting something is incorrect there?

2. Also am I correct in understanding that above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

I was saying the vent fitting "needed" to be the fitting you used, a combo. You have the right fitting there on it's back.

The other post was implying that it should have been a "santee" on it's back.

Is the washer drain done in 2"? or 1-1/2"?

Is the washer drain done in 2"? or 1-1/2"?

This is not my setup. It is Dave88LX but I saved the photo because it looked like a good correct setup.

I went back and read and including the washer standpipe to fitting #2 is all 2".

Also Terry real quick can you address my other question which was:

--Am I correct in understanding that above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures from a different floor draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Blog Entries

Above five is a vent.
    No waste or water should be running down that stack.

Any waste from above, would need to tie in below the lower fixture, pretty much at the floor level.

Above five is a vent.
    No waste or water should be running down that stack.

Any waste from above, would need to tie in below the lower fixture, pretty much at the floor level.
    OK thanks for the info....its getting close to 5 o'clock somewhere.

Name:  terry forum revised httpwww.terrylove.comforumsshowthread.php44657-Please-look-at-my-washing-mac.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  43.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerlane View Post
    What if Dave wanted or needed to have both washer standpipe and laundry sink drain on the same branch drain. And assume he had vent only above the stack. Would the following work?
    Hello Men ! I am looking to do a set up like this version , with the stub out for the sink being low enough . What would the proper fittings be then ? Also the vent pipe at right is a wet one . Thanks for your help . Jason

Ok just added #'s to the fittings thanks Name:  laundry pic #.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  43.6 KB

This was a pretty good thread on washing machine standpipe/laundry tub setup. Did you read the entire thread? The photo below is a correct way, provided above fitting #5, there are no other fixtures from above floors draining into the stack.

When you ask "What would the proper fittings be then ?" The answer is see one of the diagrams.

Maybe start a new thread with your question.

Whoa...interesting to see that this thread was still being discussed! Well, the changes didn't achieve what I hoped they would, which was to drain faster. I have a utility sink attached to #7 in the image above, and that backfills while the washer drains. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't know if I have any blockage below the floor or not. I have another thread coming up where I have a bunch of questions....bleh.

Amazing to see this the 9th most viewed thread in this forum, almost 12,000 views...holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    I don't know if I have any blockage below the floor or not.

Most likely you do. Does the utility sink drain slow? Probably wouldnt hurt to utilize the cleanout on the wye(fitting #6) and run a snake. A shame to do this work and still have backup in the sink.