Water Coming out of Shower head Cold But just right at tub before pulling diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How cold is cold? Is this shower on an outside wall? Could it be that it's cooling off a bit in the wall on its way to the showerhead (wouldn't much unless the wall cavity was totally uninsulated and breezy I would think)? Which cartridge do you have in that? Single handle, volume control, or thermostatically controlled?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It's not unusual for it to start out cold but it should come up to temp quickly. If not, what Jim said would apply.

Thefreightman

Reaction score
Jim
This is a Delta 1700 series where the temperature is all part of one dial. Had the unit installed for about 7 years no problem. the water comes out of the tub spout at whatever temperature you elect. When i pull up on the diverter, the water then comes out of the shower. however, very cold. even if i elect to have the water come out of the tub spout as hot as possible, once i hit the diverter it comes out of the shower cold. Delta tech told me they never heard of this? Wall is well insulated and it was almost 70 here yesterday.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The "logical" answer, although not immediately explainable, is that it is related to internal pressure change when shifting to shower, and therefore the issue may be related to the pressure balance spool. Simply install a new cartridge, and if the problem persists, call in an excorsist.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Jimbo is being quite logical... On the 1700 series, the tub spout has a larger port for fast filling with very little back pressure. The shower port is smaller plus the vertical rise and flow restriction in the shower head would result in more back pressure on the balance spool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks