(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a layout review

Post Looking for a layout review

I have attached a layout for my 2nd floor bath I'm remolding. Could I get some feedback as to the layout. The room is 8'x9'. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

quote; Could I get some feedback as to the layout

I suppose it might upset you if I said EVERYTHING is wrong with it. If you install it that way, the inspector might collapse on the floor from laughing before he condemned it. Get a plumber.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

ok, I'm a DIY'er, where can we start as to what is wrong. keep in mind this is a 1750-1800 house and this is a remodel of the smaller bath that was there.

Start with the fact that since that vertical vent is existing that means there may be a bathroom on a lower level, which would mean you could not connect your new bathroom directly to it. As far as the drawing is concerned we can begin with the two sinks which do not have vents and the traps are under the floor. The "vents" for the tub and shower are horizontal under the floor and are interconnected below the floor creating "secondary drains" for the tub and shower when one of the drains plug up. If that is a cleanout fitting between the sink and the other fixtures' connection it will be inaccessible and useless. The age of the house is irrelevent, and the previous piping may NOT have been installed properly.
    Last edited by hj; 11-27-2011 at 07:13 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

yep, my drawing is incorrect, I was planning on 90deg up for both sinks, and into the traps that would be above the floor. The tub and shower vents would be on a upward angle so as not to provide a drainage point. I can seperate these vents if need be. It is a cleanout fitting and would be under the sink accessible though a panel in the bottom of the vanity in case of any backups once everything is below the tiled floor. I have 18" between floors to work with and 2x8 floor joist/beams(post and beam construction). the main vent is cast iron 6" with a T-fitting that the old bathtub/toilet/sink drained into. I'm adding 1 additional sink and shower. I planned on 3" or 4" pipe to the toilet with 2" main run to the sink/shower/tub and 1-1/2" through the floor for the sinks and to the shower/tub drains.

You can't do anything that is on that drawing. DIY is one thing but without a basic knowledge of drainage and venting I think you are in way over your head. Where are you in NH? I probably know someone that can help you out.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

southern NH Manchester area

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Every trap must have a vent, and the vents must be vertical until they have reached a point no less than 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. Once above that level, the vents can run horizontally, but must be pitched back to the drain.

If it is convenient, one can connect vents together in the attic to avoid needing multiple roof penetrations. Again, proper pitch must be maintained on the horizontal piping.

Connections to a horizontal drain must be made with wyes, never tees.

The two sinks are not vented at all. Any vent pipe less than 42" ABOVE THE FLOOR must be at a minimum 45║ angle. It is not sufficient to merely take it off the lateral at an anbgle...the pipe must rise at a 45║ angle. Since you say it is remodel, we might assume that the main waste stack, with vent up to roof, is existing, and might be proper. But it the second floor bathroom was added later than the main plumbing, they might have ignored that code. Surely on a remodel like this, the inspectors will expect everything to be up to code. You can usually grandfather existing, but as soon as you touch it on a remodel, it is now "your baby" and not your grandfather!!!!

In Manchester you can bet the inspector will be all over whatever you do. That extensive a remodel will require that all the plumbing in the house be brought up to code. Give Purington a call, he's in Concord but does a lot of work in Manchester. He will treat you right.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I can vent the two sinks as they are less then 30" from the main waste stack that runs up next to the chimney and I have an area I can run the vent pipes. The old plumbing that was there had no venting other than the main waste stack, I'm planning on adding venting to the remodel. Do the new vents need to go through the roof or is venting into an unfinished attic area ok? And what's the max from the trap I can go for the vent which I will do at a 45deg up angle? I'm also going to seperate the tub and shower and 45deg up angle vent those through the exterior wall and up to the attic area as well.

Best of luck to you. Now if you will excuse me I have some brain surgery to perform. I read the book yesterday.

This has been a 3yr ongoing 2nd floor renovation of a post and beam 1750 house where as I'm sure some of you well know nothing is straight and as for level well mines been collecting dust in the garage with no use in that part of the house. I'm not saying this would be easy and I could do this in a weekend, but it's also not "Brain surgery" either. The first frontiersmen didn't have a map at first but buy asking there fellow explorers they were able to see how to go, where to go, and what was the best way to get to where they wanted. I just want to get to the end of a finished bathroom and if it means taking another year to do it bit by bit so be it. The responses so far have been very helpful, and it seems I should go back to the drawing board and maybe only show the main runs and add in branches from there. I'm going to work on a floor plan thinking that might help in showing all the components locations and proximity to one another.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The problem is that there are a lot of ways that this can be done wrong.

We don't want to steer you wrong, but trying to explain to someone how to plumb a house on the internet is beyond what most of us have the time or patience for. Look around and study the thousands of projects that have been tackled here in the past, and you could learn a quite a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you I will be revising and re-submitting in the near future as I am at that point of the renovation. I thought I had the layout worked out in my head while I was doing other aspects, but see I have more brain storming to do. I do have some other areas I had planned on doing later but will work on now until I finalize this layout. Thank you again to all.