Stove pipe question for hot air/oil fired furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve603

Reaction score
I've an older (~1986) oil fired hot air furnace that seems solid.

The 6" galvanized stove pipe going from the furnace to the chimney has two 90 degree bends. It seems to me that this is a no-no and that there should be two 45 degree bends instead and it's getting a bit ratty looking so I've ripped it out.

What gauge stove pipe should I be using? 28ga?

Are fixed 45 degree connectors available, or must I buy the adjustable 90's to make a 45 degree elbow?

The barometric damper is in good shape. Is there a special 2' section of 6" stovepipe with an oval hole pre-cut out, or do I simply buy a 2' section and cut an oval hole out and then attach the barometric damper with sheet metal screws?

Last question: Since the chimney is fixed in place, and the furnace is fixed in place, am I likely to be able to squeeze everything into place (total length to work with is fairly tight, perhaps a total of 3', and a vertical difference of about one foot. Is there such a thing as a connector that fits over two pieces of 6" stovepipe so that they can be fitted, such that that a special connector covers the 1-2" gap?

I can envision such a connector that would allow a few inch gap to be covered up, perhaps by a connector that covers both ends of the stove pipe, one end for the pipe fitted into the chimney, and the other being the pieces of pipe fitted into the furnace. I can envision a piece that would cover both ends and has a screw tightener, thus bridging the gap. Does such an item exist? Since I do have ~ a 1" elevation difference it seems that I might be able to fit it in to place. If the run was straight with no elevation difference I can't imagine how to fit the pieces short of moving the entire furnace forward, but with all the ducting that would be a very difficult job.

When replaced, I'll clean the tubes in the furnace, change the nozzle, the filter and then have someone with the proper equipment come and set the air and barometric damper setting.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks