(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing Kitchen Faucet Pull-out Hose

Default Replacing Kitchen Faucet Pull-out Hose

Hi All,

I have an older Delta kitchen faucet with a pull out handle with a leaky hose. The leak is about two inches from the pullout handle side, and is leaking right out of the flexible joints of the hose. I intend to replace the hose. Can someone please give me a few pointers on the procedure, as I have never done this before?

The end that attaches to the pullout handle looks simple enough, but under the sink where the other end attaches to the base of the faucet there is some type of clip that I am not familiar with, it is plastic and rotates freely. Also, should I be trying to attach the new hose from under the sink, or should I remove the faucet base from the counter top to get more access? It seems like it will be pretty tight trying to reach the clip at the faucet base end from under the sink. Are there any parts or special tools I might need other than the new hose? Will I need a basin wrench or does the pullout hose have a quick clip attachment?

Attached are a couple pics of the leak and the under sink attachment.Name:  leak.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  50.8 KBName:  under sink.jpg
Views: 6938
Size:  37.4 KB

TIA

I believe this is your model. Pretty good diagram of how it all goes together. The one thing you for sure DONT need is a basin wrench.
    http://www.deltafaucet.com/customers...0#flashWrapper

YOu put your finger between the two "prongs" and spread them apart while pulling on the hose. You do NOT need any tools. Pull the hose out of the faucet, slide the new one down and reinstall the clip after shoving the hose in as far as it will go. When those hoses break it is ALWAYS in that area. I have fixed many hoses with leaks like that, but it is not a DIY task.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Jimbo,

Thanks for the link to the diagrams that is my model.

Thanks for the reply hj,

I haven't tried to take it apart yet because I don't have the new parts yet, but will follow your advice. Why do you say it is not a DIY task?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scuba415 View Post
    Thanks for the reply hj,

I haven't tried to take it apart yet because I don't have the new parts yet, but will follow your advice. Why do you say it is not a DIY task?

Thanks,
    Steve
    REPLACING it is DIY. hj said he can REPAIR the hose, which is apparently a gift from the plumbing god, because no other plumber in their right mind would try that!!

quote; which is apparently a gift from the plumbing god, because no other plumber in their right mind would try that!!

It is a lot faster, cheaper, and more convenient for the customer, for me to repair it than charge them for a new hose, or wait for Delta, (Grohe, Hansgrohe, Moen, etc.), to send them one and then call me back a second time to replace it. THEN, I call the manufacturer and have them send the replacement hose for use the next time it breaks. It is the same "gift" that lets me repair Delta tub/shower valves that homeowners, and other plumbers, have twisted off in the wall.
    Last edited by hj; 11-27-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber