(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: new oil boiler - what to look for?

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member warm all winter's Avatar

Default new oil boiler - what to look for?

We have a 1400 sq ft ranch. It's been insulated r13 walls, r40 attic, copper pipes with baseboards. We're replacing the 40 year old boiler. We'be gotten one quote on a buderus g215 boiler which seems hugely oversized. Is this because of the 40 gal indirect we are going to add? Actually every oil boiler out there seems oversized...even the cheesy method of 30mbtu/sq ft puts our heat loss at 40 or so. While I have been doing lots of reading this is still a daunting task. For our new system (one zone) what sort of options should we be seeing from contractors? I.e. any buffer tanks, outdoor resets, etc.?

You can either have a heat loss done or size to the existing baseboard. The heat loss method is more accurate. Add NOTHING for the indirect load. It should be a priority call.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One fairly reliable method to see what you need is to take your oil usage, figure the BTU equivalent from each gallon burned, and compare that to the degree-day history over the last year. This will give you a pretty accurate evaluation of what heat was necessary, and you can then size the new boiler accordingly. The discussion on how to do that can be found with the search function. The degree-day info for your zip code is available on-line. Real use is more accurate than a heat loss calculation.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Well, for better or worse all the insulation work was done over the summer, which makes comparing with last year's bills sort of hard! The smallest capacity boilers all seem to be in 80 MBtu range - if that comes out to 2x oversized or something, is it still going to work well if we install one? I have no doubt it'll operate more effectively than the old boiler, what i'm wondering is what is the most effective way to make the new boiler work with our size system. Some contractors did measure the house for accurate heat loss #'s but they haven't gotten them to me yet.

I've used the Slant/Fin heat loss calculator and come up with a number of 42 MBtu for the heat loss. Some of the room dimensions were by memory so it might be +/- 10% on that.

Speaking of Slant/Fin I was looking at the Eutectic EC-10 boiler (specifically the EC-13A model). This seems interesting - well insulated and triple pass, similar to the Buderus or Viessman construction. Are these worth looking into?

I hate Slant Fin boilers but that's just an opinion based on having worked on the pieces of crap for over 30 years. Go with the buderus
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]