New well (9 mo. old) stopped producing water

Users who are viewing this thread

Kg2k

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a new well drilled in January because my old well was producing massive amounts of debris over a very long period of time. The new well was producing 7 gpm when it was drilled. Just the other day I noticed my spin down filter had a lot of debris in it (looks like rust). I cleaned it and when I turned the water back it immediately filled up and plugged. I cleaned it again and backflushed for a little while and then the water just stopped.

I figured my pump was plugged at first but today I think my well has gone dry. If I turn it off for a half hour and back on it produces water for a minute or so then starts cycling, albeit very slowly. After having the pump off for half an hour I can hear the trickling in the well and can not see any water when looking down the well with a flashlight. Am I missing something or does it sound like the well has stopped producing water?

Has anyone experienced this with a new (under 1 yr old) well? Is there anything that can be done? Anyone have any idea what my legal rights are in case the drilling company just tells me I am out of luck? I spent a lot of money on this in January so drilling a new well at my expense is not going to make me happy.

It is a 140' drilled well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You might be having a normal water level fluctuation or the well could be collapsing. Do you have any idea how far down the well is cased or at what level the pump is set?

You can use a weighted string line to measure the water level in the well. Do not use anything that has the potential to get stuck in the well.

Kg2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The well is cased to 30'. The sandstone bedrock starts at 14'. It's actually running better now, as if it freed up or something. I got 5 minutes, then waited, then I got ten, then waited. Now I have been running for 15+ minutes. I am running off a connection before the pressure tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what my legal rights are in case the drilling company just tells me I am out of luck? I spent a lot of money on this in January so drilling a new well at my expense is not going to make me happy...
With many drillers, the only thing they guarantee is that it will cost you.

When you took down your system to clean the filter, I assume the tank was emptied. When you restart the system, you may get a large in-rush that can draw down the level in the casing and churn up sediment. To avoid that, I suggest you put a ballvalve between the filter and the tank so as not to drain the tank to service the filter.

I would keep over-pumping the well to clear out any sediment and hopefully open up the aquifer a bit. It's possible that you may need to get the driller back to surge the well to increase production.

http://www.lifewater.ca/Section_10.htm

Kg2k

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually do have a valve before the filter. I have an unusual setup in that I have my spindown filter before the pressure tank. I thought it was a good idea but I found out afterward that it's not the standard way of doing things. I am using a coarse filter in my spindown filter.

It seems the production slowed again. I think I will keep drawing on it 10 minutes at time with 20 minutes or so in between.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Depending on the GPM of the pump and size of the downpipe, if the filter clogs enough to significantly reduce the flow rate, sediment may collect in the downpipe. You should never stop a pump while it is moving crud. Under such circumstances, some sediment may also stay in the pump and damage it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are running off a connection after the filter, you have no idea if this is how much the well/pump is making or if it is just all the filter can pass. Take out the filter cartridge and try it again. And don't be afraid to call the driller. He/she is probably licensed with the state to make sure they do you a good job. If it is thier problem they will make it right, as they don't want anyone going to the licensing board with a problem about them.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually do have a valve before the filter. I have an unusual setup in that I have my spindown filter before the pressure tank...
If the inline valve is before the filter and the filter is before the tank, the valve is on the wrong side. The valve needs to be after the filter if you want to be able to service the filter without draining the tank first. If the filter has a ballvalve at the base to flush it, the reverse flow could damage the filter element since it is not designed to handle reverse flow. It should only be flushed in the forward direction which can only happen if the pump is running at the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks