varible speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkeyes

Reaction score
Hey just joined. I have a close friend that can't resolove a problem so I said I would try and help him. This question my be way out of line and if it is just tell me.

He has a RBI scroll saw Mod 220VS (stands for 22 inch throat and varible speed) there is the problem, the variable speed part. The company RBI has gone out of business. He has went to all the forums on scroll saws and has found out he is one of many, many people that has had theirs go down too. The varible speed worked sporaticly and then just quit. Bypassed the varible part and motor runs great. To fix the varible part it wouls cost over 300 bucks, but now we found out there is a chip on the varible speed that can't be found, so we are search for any other way. I have a grinder and it has a varible speed and it's not a dc motor, so I know there are controler out there it seems.

The motor is 1/6 hp 3 amp and has a capacitor on the motor.

Question can a varible speed controler be bought for this motor?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are plug-in motor speed controllers, but getting the right one depends on the type of motor installed. If you can find that, a google search should turn up some choices. This would likely be an external box and you'd have to wire the motor internally, bypassing the internal motor speed control.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Most of them motors use SCR Speed control.

What is the part number of the Chip that you can not find ?

How many legs does the device have ?

It would be safer to fix than to modify.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks