Key to Shut Off Water at Street?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are numerous keys...you'd have to compare the exact size and shape. Then, it may or may not be legal for you to turn it off. Generally, the utility owns it, and if it gets damaged by you, you pay, which may include a fine.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a general purpose U-shaped end, which would work on many valves. But it yours has a stubby square head, that probably won't grab it. How deep is your valve?

Around here, if you need the city water valve turned off, you call them. They will respond within the hour , 24/7.

MonkeyWrenchHead

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I know where my cover plate is, but never actually opened it and looked inside. I just called and they said they will come out and turn it off, and back on without too much of a delay, so that works for me.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the time just having the city turn the water on/off does work just fine. Problems is, there are times when you might need to cut the water immediately. For example, one time I was working in my basement near where the 1" supply line entered the house. There was a ball valve that the plumbers had installed 4 or 5 years before this when they installed the new pipe. I bumped my step ladder against the valve and the next thing I knew, the valve was completely off the pipe and I had water coming into my basement under 90 psi! I went to my meter box and discovered the rod to shut the water off had a rectangular end that required a special tool. I tried pipe wrenches and an adjustable wrench, but couldn't get enough leverage to turn the valve. I called the city and found the only one on duty was on a call on the other side of town. He came as quickly as he could, but you can imagine how much water I had collected by then. The next day, I had a welder friend make my a key. I have used it a couple of times when I had other problems. It's true the city usually doesn't want you to have a key, but I'll accept their wrath if I even get called on it, but if/when I have another emergency, I can deal with it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on your area, you could either need a "Buffalo Box" key or a meter key. Both use the same end, but 27" would usually be much too short for a Buffalo Box/curb stop valve.

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Gary

That's why I always liked Flare fittings up to the first valve on a water service. My current house has a 3/4 service with the worst looking solder joint on the main valve, I am going to fix it some day but for now I just steer clear of it. That must have been some mess

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks