Would this be a hard drain pipe removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Galerie

Reaction score
As you can see from the two attachments, I am remodeling the bathroom, there is the drain pipe that extends out from the wall that I think I might need to replace. I don't know if that is lead in there or would it be an easy fix to get that thing out of there. And If it does come out what is needed to go its its place. I believe the pipes are cast iron, the house was built in 1955, any help would be appreciated. I would like to see what the options are before I call a plumber for an estimate and I am sure their estimate would be expensive.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0031-2.jpg
    IMG_0031-2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 292

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know why you think the pipe is bad and needs replacing, but it can be done. It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this as well as replacing the pipe. You can DIY if saving a few dollars is that important, but the best course of action is to have a professional do it. But, if you must, The lead can be removed by drilling many holes around it and then prying the remaining lead out with an old screwdriver. I assume you would then want to replace the pipe with PVC. The way that can be done is with a rubber doughnut that will fit in the cast iron tee. The doughnut has to be the proper size and the tee must be in good condition for the doughnut to seal. This would probably be such a simple job for a plumber you would only be out his minimum charge and the job would be done right.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I don't know why you think the pipe is bad and needs replacing, but it can be done. It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this as well as replacing the pipe. You can DIY if saving a few dollars is that important, but the best course of action is to have a professional do it. But, if you must, The lead can be removed by drilling many holes around it and then prying the remaining lead out with an old screwdriver. I assume you would then want to replace the pipe with PVC. The way that can be done is with a rubber doughnut that will fit in the cast iron tee. The doughnut has to be the proper size and the tee must be in good condition for the doughnut to seal. This would probably be such a simple job for a plumber you would only be out his minimum charge and the job would be done right.
That is a solder bushing and the trap arm is soldered into the bushing and THREADED into the cast iron.
It can be cut out and a new trap adapter THREADED in.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Gary, that looks like a taped tee with a solder bushing. The hub is to short to be a calked joint.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this

There is absolutely NO WAY anyone could, or WOULD, ever make a lead/oakum joint for that connection. It is a screwed in solder bushing and once it is cut out, (it will NEVER unscrew), a new brass trap adapter will screw into the tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks