(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Would this be a hard drain pipe removal

Default Would this be a hard drain pipe removal

As you can see from the two attachments, I am remodeling the bathroom, there is the drain pipe that extends out from the wall that I think I might need to replace. I don't know if that is lead in there or would it be an easy fix to get that thing out of there. And If it does come out what is needed to go its its place. I believe the pipes are cast iron, the house was built in 1955, any help would be appreciated. I would like to see what the options are before I call a plumber for an estimate and I am sure their estimate would be expensive.

thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I don't know why you think the pipe is bad and needs replacing, but it can be done. It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this as well as replacing the pipe. You can DIY if saving a few dollars is that important, but the best course of action is to have a professional do it. But, if you must, The lead can be removed by drilling many holes around it and then prying the remaining lead out with an old screwdriver. I assume you would then want to replace the pipe with PVC. The way that can be done is with a rubber doughnut that will fit in the cast iron tee. The doughnut has to be the proper size and the tee must be in good condition for the doughnut to seal. This would probably be such a simple job for a plumber you would only be out his minimum charge and the job would be done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    I don't know why you think the pipe is bad and needs replacing, but it can be done. It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this as well as replacing the pipe. You can DIY if saving a few dollars is that important, but the best course of action is to have a professional do it. But, if you must, The lead can be removed by drilling many holes around it and then prying the remaining lead out with an old screwdriver. I assume you would then want to replace the pipe with PVC. The way that can be done is with a rubber doughnut that will fit in the cast iron tee. The doughnut has to be the proper size and the tee must be in good condition for the doughnut to seal. This would probably be such a simple job for a plumber you would only be out his minimum charge and the job would be done right.
    That is a solder bushing and the trap arm is soldered into the bushing and THREADED into the cast iron.
    It can be cut out and a new trap adapter THREADED in.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Gary, that looks like a taped tee with a solder bushing. The hub is to short to be a calked joint.

John

quote; It is a lead/oakum joint. A plumber would make very short work of this

There is absolutely NO WAY anyone could, or WOULD, ever make a lead/oakum joint for that connection. It is a screwed in solder bushing and once it is cut out, (it will NEVER unscrew), a new brass trap adapter will screw into the tee.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber