(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: America the stupid: "Smart meters" and Utility pumps

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Default America the stupid: "Smart meters" and Utility pumps

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...tility_hacked/

I don't understand the ignorance of America to the dangers to our infrastructure.

Here is a test from the Chinese or Russians to destroy Americas city water pumping stations that are - idiotically- connected to the internet. They were quite successful.

Then we have permitted the utilities to attach our electric meters to vast cell phone/internet connections, so that 5 good Chinamen can put us all in the dark with the push of a button.

Instead of the campers on Wall street, they should have hit all the utilities for sit ins to eliminate this patently dangerous and intrusive situation.

But dont you want to be able to "monitor" your electrical usage from your computer or cellphone?Don't you want to be friendly to the earth and reduce your energy levels and be able to tell when you should turn some stuff off? For me The dumb meter I have on my house is just fine. I can monitor my electrical usage with the monthly bill. If I want to shut a lite off I will.If I dont I wont. I dont need big brother having that control. I dont believe the bs about how the meters will save you energy unless they control you.If there isn't enough power build another coal fired plant we got plenty of coal.

People are quick to get on the Band Wagon.

Monitor is one thing, Control is another.

All of our Computer Firewall / Routers are made or Programmed in other Country's.

Talk about being able to leave the back door open...
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

I can't believe that in some places utilities can remotely cycle a households HVAC during peak usage. I would be livid if they tried that here.

And these rolling brownouts we had last summer here in Texas. What are we a third world country? Can we not generate enough power? The public does not care if they have to pay more during peak times, just so they have power. Oh wait, the Sierra Club is in the way.
    Travis

When I need a precise measurement of something I often use the highly technical method of eyeballing it.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Actually they paid me 25$ to allow them to hook up a AC on off on a rental. But this is no desert.

The main drive is to eliminate jobs, and turn off our power when we miss a payment from 1000 miles away. Very dangerous conditions.

If they had a transmitter that went 80 feet, then the meter guy could read it from his car window. That might be palatable and make sense.