peel 4" pvc from inside of hub

Users who are viewing this thread

tp85

Reaction score
how difficult is it to peel (perhaps literally piece by piece) 4" PVC from the inside of a hub fitting that was glued about 1 year ago?

i've seen someone do this about 1 month after a rough-in to fix a leak. but not sure about after 1 year.

got a real tight clearance situation, and this approach may be the easiest. however, don't really want to pick out a million small pieces.

thanks,
tom

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have had fairly good luck using a large flat head screwdriver and a hammer and you just go around and around the hub until it pops out.

tp85

Reaction score
nice. :)

could you give more details on how you do it? when you say pop out...i sounds like it comes out in one piece.

maybe you hammer the screw driver inbetween the hub and pipe, then work around the circumference?

Cass said:
I have had fairly good luck using a large flat head screwdriver and a hammer and you just go around and around the hub until it pops out.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Before I would use a hammer and screw, I would cut through the pipe and then chip out very carefully with screwdriver.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
tp85 said:
nice. :)

could you give more details on how you do it? when you say pop out...i sounds like it comes out in one piece.

maybe you hammer the screw driver inbetween the hub and pipe, then work around the circumference?

Yes, with 4" I might be more apt to use a more narrow screwdriver so as to cause as little damage to the hub as possible or start with a wide one and as I got into the hub go with a more narrow one. No guarantees though

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
A toruch works wonders

The screw driver and hammer works good but you should be very careful or you can knock a chip out of the fitting. You can also use a soldering tourch and flathead screw driver to seal a leak on pvc. To do this heat the tip of the screw driver until the tip is cherry red. Take one edge of the screw driver and drag the tip along the joint of the pipe and fitting. Keep doing this until the leak is sealed. But unless you have had some experince doing this I wouldn't try it,or chipping the pipe out of the fitting. I would advise you to either get the inside fitting cutter or get three coupling's and a new tee and replace the whole thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Tighten a large hose clamp around the outside of the hub at the top first so you do not break the hub. Then melt or cut a slot in one side of the pipe through to the inside of the hub. Then you should be able to drive a thin screwdriver between the pipe and hub to start the separation. Then using a second screwdriver, and moving both, keep working your way around the pipe using one screwdriver to keep the gap open and the second to continue separating.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
http://www.accentshopping.com/store/plumbing/specialty/tools/3254.asp

3254.jpg

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
RotoZip It!

I have found lots of uses for a RotoZip. When you get one, you will wonder why it took so long.

Put a 1/4" carbide router in it, with a cutting edge at least 1" long. Get a good grip on the RotoZip with both hands and gnaw a groove in the pipe you are trying to remove in at least two places. Then attack with the screwdriver, and maybe a little heat inside the 4" pipe.

tp85

Reaction score
lots of great suggestions.

with two cuts in the inner pipe, would you expect the pipe to break free in large pieces? obviously with a little screw driver chiseling and prying.

tom

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You want at least two cuts with a wide kerf so the pieces don't interfere with each other as you pry them inward. Cuts won't really help with the unbonding; that's what the screwdriver is for.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Good luck finding 1. I went through this once and it took 6 weeks to get 1 once I found a company that I could order from. You have to find a company that is a distributor/direct buyer from fernco as I couldn't find anyone that carried it due to the rarity of use. If you are in Boston, LA, NYC or a large metro area maybe you will find one. Fernco will not sell direct to anyone. At least 2 years ago they wouldn't.

tp85

Reaction score
:( yeah, already found that out the hard way.
tom

Cass said:
Good luck finding 1. I went through this once and it took 6 weeks to get 1 once I found a company that I could order from. You have to find a company that is a distributor/direct buyer from fernco as I couldn't find anyone that carried it due to the rarity of use. If you are in Boston, LA, NYC or a large metro area maybe you will find one. Fernco will not sell direct to anyone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Either cut it out yourself using one of the methods already described or hire a plumber to do it. It is less that the minimum one hour labor time to do it. That is unless you have some special condition that makes a project out of it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks