Ice- line[ have plastic]its old!!

Users who are viewing this thread

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
I flooded my kitchen this year and the ins covered the water damage it caused. I got to looking at the frig[ ice[maker line in the basement its yellowing[age],And it lays acrossed a heat supply branch [ galvanized]ITs quite a long small plastic line.

I am a retired plumber 23 years,i just found out about this pecks waterline thats being used now-i'm still a fan of copper.or whatever yo think is best suited

I want to know what your take on replacement, and what should i use that i never have to replace again. I'm 67 so please bear with me if i don't get the picture the first time you share with me. anyway thanks a whole lot with whatever you know. fill me in . I told my wife the ins company won't be to happy with my floods to close together -should it ever happen. bob s or scharpr@ymail.com

Please type in sizes i need and i can take it from there

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Exposure to heat and/or sunlight is not good for that polyethylene tubing. Yellowing is not a good sign. It is not ideal material for a "long run". You can replace it with PEX or copper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer to run a 1/2" line behind the frig, and box it with a hammer arrestor box and 1/4" OD shutoff.
I run either PEX or copper to the new box.
I do not like plastic lines for icemakers.
Out of the box and to the frig, a stainless braided supply works nice.

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
I prefer to run a 1/2" line behind the frig, and box it with a hammer arrestor box and 1/4" OD shutoff.
I run either PEX or copper to the new box.
I do not like plastic lines for icemakers.
Out of the box and to the frig, a stainless braided supply works nice.

OK--I'm all installed with small copper line, downstairs, Have plastic small line. i'm abit unsure of. It has a factory installed 1/4" plastic -approx; 4 ' long , that runs from a box of some sort, over and hooks directly to the ice-maker.IT looks to be a push on fit,--- as it has a wire clamp of sorts. So i need to replace this too??

OK share what to do with thids last four foot of plastic.[attaches to thr cardboard backer board and looks flimsy as a - - - -, well!!!! it jus looks flimsy. Chime in please so i can get back out to my restoration of a 1955 chevy bel-air i just bought.:)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks