Thermostatic shower system 1/2" enough or need 3/4"??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size supply you can live with will depend somewhat on how you use it...if you open all of the valves, then your flow would try to be the sum of all devices, and 1/2" is unlikely to provide you with enough flow to provide satisfactory outputs of any of them. If you want the ability to run all at the same time with decent functional pressure, I think you need 3/4" feeding things, and that's not pex, that's copper.

MCU

Reaction score
i agree 3/4 copper to run everything at once, but as i mentionned, i will never use more than 2/3 at a time. like one other poster said my water talnk would be empty in mins and would live to enjoy more than a few mins with the wife (maybe i should go with 1/4" so I can get the longest time out of my tank) :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the piping to the "accessoire #2 jets de corp", (Quebec for accessory body sprays), can be piped more effectively using a sideways "H" pattern with the feed to the middle of the crossbar. Then ALL the jets will be equidistant from the feed pipe. Aesthically, I would mount the thermostatic valve lower, since it will seldom be readjusted, then install the volume controls in a horizontal or vertical line above the thermostatic valve. If the name is Jalo, rather than Jado, then I wonder if they are "knockoffs" like the watches which were called "Omego", "Rollex", or "Buloba". Names close enough to the real ones to be misunderstood if just glanced at.

Last edited:

MCU

Reaction score
HJ, I am not quite sure I understand the H way or piping it. Would it be too much to make a diagram for me real quick? The shower is 44x96 with a 12x44 bench (so in reality floor space is 44x84), but I was wondering since it's such a long shower, should I place the wand on the side wall with the two jets and the shower head on the wall with controls and two other jets. I would of loved to put the showerhead hanging from the ceiling, but above the ceiling is my attic (worried about the cold) and did not want to lower my ceiling height by making a fake ceiling for the pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Nope! Draw the letter "H", turn it on its side and put a wall jet on each "end", then connect a pipe to the center of the crossbar. ALL the jets will be the same distance from the connection, although getting them ALL exactly the same is not too important. Doesn't sound too complicated to me, but then I know what I am describing. I have NEVER installed a "balancing loop" because they are more aesthetic than practical.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nope! Draw the letter "H", turn it on its side and put a wall jet on each "end", then connect a pipe to the center of the crossbar. ALL the jets will be the same distance from the connection, although getting them ALL exactly the same is not too important. Doesn't sound too complicated to me, but then I know what I am describing. I have NEVER installed a "balancing loop" because they are more aesthetic than practical.

Looks like a good plan. Is this right HJ?

............|
............|
............|------------------ Water Line to Jets
............|
............|

* = Body Jet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks