(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: someday I'll be a plumber but for now still need advice on venting

Default someday I'll be a plumber but for now still need advice on venting

I need some advice on venting/. It would be very difficult for me to run a vent line except in one place where I can get it up to the roof and out.

I'd like to use "Y" connections as in the diagram to hook up a vent system. It's all for a 1st floor set up and the only way waste is going out of the house
    is via a horizintal run in the basement.

I wonder how far away can the sink be in this set up. The toilet will be about 8" from the vent pipe

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Horizontal vents must be 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. In your case it would be the sink. Plus the vent for the sink is below the trap making the trap a full S which is not allowed.

John

ok thanks, that dashes my plans for an "Easy" way to vent. I'll rethink this. In the meantime anyone have any ideas? There is no way to run vertical pipes that I can see. Maybe one way is to put the toilet out 6" further from the wall and put the horizontal vent run above the sink floor rim as you suggest and enclose in a chase or part false wall.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Horizontal vents must be 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. In your case it would be the sink. Plus the vent for the sink is below the trap making the trap a full S which is not allowed.

John

Default someday I"ll be a plumber but I still need some advice on venting NEW IDEA

how about this?

by the way does the horizontal vent pipe have to slope up ?
    THANKS!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You can combine vent lines, as said, if they join at least 6" above the flood rim, or 42", whichever is higher. To account for condensation, rain, or backup, yes, the vent line needs slope to it just like a drain.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ok this may not be too hard after all. Funny thing one plumber came over and told me I could vent a sink drain below as in the first drawing, what a problem that would have been if I had not posted and gotten your input and let him do that! THANKS! This is a great forum. Wish I knew more to answer things. If anyone needs help on music production let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    You can combine vent lines, as said, if they join at least 6" above the flood rim, or 42", whichever is higher. To account for condensation, rain, or backup, yes, the vent line needs slope to it just like a drain.

If that pipe ends at the left side, then you ONLY need a 2" vent for the sink and it will vent the toilet also.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Default wow!

Wow thanks for this tip!

I redid the diagram. So then I would need to run a 2" pipe as the drain pipe into the horizontal sewer line ( A and B) as shown and then connect
    a 2" elbow and a 2" horizontal run (C) and then the 2" vertical run (D) up to the roof and I'm done? So then I can just use a regular P trap pipe and shoot that
    into the 2" drain/vent pipe and it will vent the toilet. Cool. Now is there anything to be gained by having the toilet fitting have a Y to attach to the vent?

Will it vent "better" than the scaled down version in this diagram? or just the same?

The toilet will be about 12" max from the end of that pipe by the way and the lav will be right next to the toilet.

I"ll be a plumber yet!

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

This is called wet venting the toilet through the lavatory.

Might be worth mentioning that the connection between the vertical risers and the horizontal main line need to be wyes, not tees.
    The fitting at the sink should be a sanitary tee.