(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solenoid Failure?

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    If you want to lower the voltage of the coil, You can remove a few turns from it.

The voltage goes down, But the current goes up...
    Wouldn't removing a few turns from the coil reduce the strength of the electromagnet, thus making it even more difficult to open that sticky latch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Wouldn't removing a few turns from the coil reduce the strength of the electromagnet, thus making it even more difficult to open that sticky latch?
    How would you possibly unwind the coil? Isn't it impregnated with epoxy or varnish?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

I would not recommend messing with the gas valve.

But the mag field is still high because the current goes up, More Power. In theory.

The amount of turns and gauge of wire is what sets the operating voltage range.

That Gas coil may have a limit resistor in series with it. And probable is encapsulated.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    How would you possibly unwind the coil? Isn't it impregnated with epoxy or varnish?
    I wouldn't unwind it even if it were possible... just curious about the theory behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I would not recommend messing with the gas valve.

But the mag field is still high because the current goes up, More Power. In theory.

The amount of turns and gauge of wire is what sets the operating voltage range.

That Gas coil may have a limit resistor in series with it. And probable is encapsulated.
    Oh, so that's why a 9 volt works better than 4 AA's, because the greater voltage creates more amperage, and thus more power?

BTW, I keep repeating that the solenoid is replaceable and simply screws into the gas valve.
    Supposedly, at long last, they are mailing me out a replacement. Hopefully, I'll get it by Christmas.

Oh, so that's why a 9 volt works better than 4 AA's, because the greater voltage creates more amperage, and thus more power?

BTW, I keep repeating that the solenoid is replaceable and simply screws into the gas valve.
    Supposedly, at long last, they are mailing me out a replacement. Hopefully, I'll get it by Christmas.
    Reviving an old thread here....

I am having the exact same problem with what sounds like the exact same unit. Jumping the wires with the 9V, I can switch the main burner on and off. However, I believe my remote receiver unit may be completely fried, as it is no longer making any beeping, even when using the "learn" button. It is also not able to turn the burner off (not sure from your description if yours was able to or not). Did you see the same result (no beeping) from your unit while the solenoid was busted?

Also, any tips dealing with ProCom on getting the parts replaced under warranty? Was the solenoid the fix and as easy as it sounds? This unit was already installed in the house that I bought, so I don't have a receipt.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RYounk007 View Post

I am having the exact same problem with what sounds like the exact same unit. Jumping the wires with the 9V, I can switch the main burner on and off. However, I believe my remote receiver unit may be completely fried, as it is no longer making any beeping, even when using the "learn" button. It is also not able to turn the burner off (not sure from your description if yours was able to or not). Did you see the same result (no beeping) from your unit while the solenoid was busted?

Also, any tips dealing with ProCom on getting the parts replaced under warranty? Was the solenoid the fix and as easy as it sounds? This unit was already installed in the house that I bought, so I don't have a receipt.

Thanks!
    Just refer to my post #23;I'm not trying to be a smart ass
    (I already am one I guess, lol)
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Post #23 reads;

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    I'm a pretty handy guy; I've replaced propane heater gas valves on millivolt systems and 24 VAC systems, I've made and calibrated my own water collumn pressure gauges, BUT I would NEVER tinker with the gas valve itself and try to repair it, ESPECIALLY one that is in the house. Yes, I would disect the valve, see what makes it tick, etc. but never, ever trust my ablilities or lack thereof to fix it. Your Mileage may vary, but I don't want to be responsible for blowing up my house.

If the coil is good then the valve may be sticking and should be replaced.

Have fun, and be safe doing it.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by RYounk007 View Post

Thanks!

There was always beeping coming from the old receiver, and it always was able to turn off the gas valve, since that required less voltage.

ProCom sent me a new remote receiver and solenoid. I replaced the receiver first and it worked just fine, so I just kept the solenoid as a spare.