Problem with Grohe Grohmix Thermo valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrvf

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Grohe Grohmix 19229 shower faucet with a thermostatic valve 34419. It was initially installed in 1996. Gradually, over the past few years the handle became harder and harder to turn. As of the other day it became loose and spins but does not change the water temperature - you can feel that there is no grab. I've taken it apart and cleaned the pieces with a vinegar solution. I cannot remove the cartridge – it is stuck. The shower has no leaks or drips. The pressure is fine. There was no moisture inside the wall when I took the faucet apart.

I checked that the pieces I could remove were intact the teeth on the stop ring are intact no threads stripped, no cracks. When I put the faucet back together the same thing happened and the handle is loose and doesn't change the water temperature. I tightened the handle screw but it becomes loose again after a few turns.

My question is, is this a cartridge issue? Or do I just need to replace the other parts like the plastic thermostat handle?
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't know, but I think I'd just call Grohe and see what they think.

mrvf

Reaction score
Thanks - I was able to figure it out, though.
It's fixed now and working fine.

santa608

Reaction score
I am desperate!

Hello, I have a Grohe Grohmix 19229 shower faucet with a ¾†thermostatic valve 34419. It was initially installed in 1996. Gradually, over the past few years the handle became harder and harder to turn. As of the other day it became loose and spins but does not change the water temperature - you can feel that there is no grab. I’ve taken it apart and cleaned the pieces with a vinegar solution. I cannot remove the cartridge – it is stuck. The shower has no leaks or drips. The pressure is fine. There was no moisture inside the wall when I took the faucet apart.

I checked that the pieces I could remove were intact – the teeth on the stop ring are intact – no threads stripped, no cracks. When I put the faucet back together the same thing happened – the handle is loose and doesn’t change the water temperature. I tightened the handle screw but it becomes loose again after a few turns.

My question is, is this a cartridge issue? Or do I just need to replace the other parts – like the plastic thermostat handle?
Thanks

I have the same problem. My faucet was installed in Buenos Aires. I took it apart, and I think that the plumber when he installed it broke the green screw adjustment. and jury rigged it so that it worked for a while. How does this value work? The direction talk about adjusting the temperature with a screwdriver. but that is impossible. Ihaven 't hada proper shower in a week. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The internal adjustment is to calibrate the temperature readout on the handle to the actual temperature...this is normally done at the factory, but should be checked by the the installer. While I don't know, my guess is that the cartridge is toast and needs to be replaced. Does Brazil have a Grohe national rep? Call them, or you might try their distributor via e-mail (may or may not be fruitful).

GB26

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Grohe Grohmix 19229 shower faucet with a thermostatic valve 34419. It was initially installed in 1996. Gradually, over the past few years the handle became harder and harder to turn. As of the other day it became loose and spins but does not change the water temperature - you can feel that there is no grab. I've taken it apart and cleaned the pieces with a vinegar solution. I cannot remove the cartridge – it is stuck. The shower has no leaks or drips. The pressure is fine. There was no moisture inside the wall when I took the faucet apart.

I checked that the pieces I could remove were intact the teeth on the stop ring are intact no threads stripped, no cracks. When I put the faucet back together the same thing happened and the handle is loose and doesn't change the water temperature. I tightened the handle screw but it becomes loose again after a few turns.

My question is, is this a cartridge issue? Or do I just need to replace the other parts like the plastic thermostat handle?
Thanks
How did you resolve your issue? Mine is doing the same thing. Handle screw becomes loose again and again. I took apart the handle of the exact same model on another shower that was working fine (trying to figure out the first handle!!) and now that handle screw becomes loose too.

TJRAD

Reaction score
The Grohe thermostatic cartridge should be replaced. the part number of your cartridge is stamped on the face like my picture below. The handle interfaces with the cartridge by friction fitting over the tapered stem. When you tighten the handle screw you are forcing the handle further down the taper. When the cartridge is new the handle effortlessly rotates . Be warned that this is probably one of the most complicated valves a plumber could ever work on. If you higher someone make sure they are a plumber with experience with Grohe and not your gardner who says he can do it. Not sure which valve trim you have but here is a picture of the most common from back in the day.
Good luck.
grohmix stem.jpg
grohmix3.jpg
grohmix2.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 3.54.00 PM.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks