(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing cement board behind my shower

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I have used Redgard, I think a sheet membrane is more reliable - it's easier to get full coverage without lumps or drips or pinholes. I used it this week because it was the best for the job at hand, but I didn't particularly like it. Lots of people get instruction and build showers other than with Kerdi at the John Bridge site...they have info in their library on how to do it and will guide you, if you ask. One person's experience is one peron's opinion, just like mine and John W's. Each has their own opinion based on experience and training. A shower made with Kerdi is by no means the only way to build one...lots of other methods work and work well. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but all can perform well. It depends on your expectations. ANY sheet membrane IMHO, is better than a traditional liner system as there's so much less to get wet. Reducing moisture will reduce the chances of mold. Mold requires three things: the spores (everywhere), moisture (you can control), and food (easy to leave behind unless you have perfect maintenance and cleanliness - unlikely). The surface applied membrane methods (and Kerdi is only one of them) limit how much can get wet, which means it dries out quicker, which limits the likelyness of mold. BTW, I have been trained on Kerdi.

The big thing with cbu is that they are all stable when wetted...and, they expand and contract similarly to tile, so they make a good substrate in a tiled environment, whether it gets wet or not. Some are more impervious than others, and some wick water more than others, but their primary purpose is to hold the tile well, and that's a function of their stability and expansion and contraction properties that match tile's.

I think in all of the discussions that I've tried to bring out facts and dispell misconceptions. I suggest Kerdi, but also have suggested Wedi and other systems in order to get people to think other than a traditional shower. This is all part of being an informed consumer, but it's natural to recommend products you have used and are comfortable with. John has more experience and prefers different products, but doesn't understand Kerdi and therefore seems to downplay it's effectiveness. With ANY product, if you don't install it properly, you'll have problems. There's a lot of resiliency and flexibility with the Kerdi system as well as others. Choose your preference on your comfort level, local availability, support, and needs, but don't say the product doesn't work when you don't have a clue. Craftsmanship is key in whatever method you use...do it well, do it once, be happy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:41 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I wasn't building a shower where I used Redgard, I was repairing some subflooring where I used it for its antifracture capabilities over a seam I had to make and to provide a little protection around the tub ends. Other stuff may have been better, but it was specified for that application and it was free, the tile dealer gave us enough to do the job. I was helping my sister. I would have preferred tearing the whole thing out, but that was not in the budget. The tub was installed sloped to the room slightly, and there was damage on each end that was repaired. It was a patch that should last long enough to get them to the point where they can afford to remodel and do the whole thing right.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014