Garbage Disposers - Plumbing Contractor Grade vs. Orange Depot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dino

Reaction score
Having trouble with our 20 + year old (?) InSinkErator 333 garbage disposal. It was installed by a plumber/neighbor prior to our purchase of the house. It has worked fine for the 18 years that we have used it. The problem started with a jam. I was able to clean it out and losen the fly wheel such that it would turn freely all the way around except some friction on one side as if it were no longer concentric within the housing. Useing the allen wrench below, I was able to free it completely. However after turning the motor on, it seemed to work for about 20 seconds, but then it started making a louder grinding noise, while the flywheel stopped turning completely. I haven't taken it apart or evern removed it yet (Everytime I'm about ready to dig into this task, It seems to be about the time my wife is about to start preparing dinner... I do have priorities!), but it seems as if either the shaft has sheared off or the fastener that connects the flywheel to the shaft has sheared off.

Regardeless of the problem, I have acknwoledged that the disposer is over 20 years old, and I accept that it may be time to replace it! My question is... The previous disposer was a model available to plumbing contractors and not the retail public. The Current InSinkErator model line seams to consist of the "Evolution" line and the "Badger" line. At first glance the Badger line appears to "look" like my no-nonsense old unit. But reading consumer reviews, there seems to be a common problem with the plastic grind chamber, after about 2-3 years. I know it's quieter and Has more features, but is the Evolution series a higher quality better longevity unit?

And my REAL question is, is there a better series or disposer available from a professional plumbing store as compared to the Orange Depot Store? (I know that is the case with many products, but not all) I would rather spend a few dollars more for a quality product that will last another 20 years... or even 10 years as opposed to 3!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The evolution series is much more robust. Average life of a garbage disposal is around 7-years, so you can't complain!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A disposal under regular residential use is commonly only good for 7-8 years. Most kitchen drain clogs are caused by worn out disposal units.

The Evolution disposals are excellent, with stainless steel internals and much quieter operation than any other I have seen. I don't think the Badger units are bad, but they are a lot noisier that the Evolution.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Evolution was "supposed" to be for contractor's only, but I think they have started to sell them to the "big box" stores also. You basically get what you pay for. More money equals more features, but the Badger line is the one used in 95% of the homes here, with good success, NOT failures in 3 to 4 years. In fact most keep operating, like yours has, long past the time they should have been replaced.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no better disposer available than insinkerator. The 333 series was ALWAYS available at HD. It probably had a 5 year warranty, and a reasonable life expectancy of 10 to 12 years. ( if it was the 333PRO, also available at HD, it might have been 7 years warr.)You really stretched the envelope with yours!. The Evolution series replaced the 333/777 series. It is available in about 4 different levels, as were the predecessors. Bigger motors, more stainless, autoreverse, etc. All are VERY quiet and very good performers.

Will ANYTHING made today last 20 years??? Time will tell on that.

Lburk

Technical Training Manager
Reaction score
I recently installed the ISE Evolution Excel in my home. One horsepower, reversing, jam sensor etc. The real reason I got it is because it's quiet. After I installed it on a Kohler stainless steel sink, I turned it on. Told my wife to listen. She asked when I was going to turn it on and she was about 5' away, I dropped a small pork rib bone in it without it getting hardly any louder. It also has a 7 year in home warranty. Don't ask me what a 7 year non-in home warranty would be. Never thought about taking a disposer out, drop it off at the reapir shop and pick it up in 3 days when it's done????
With disposers you get what you pay for.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The in-home warranty means someone will come to your house and install a new one if necessary. Most items of the size and price range of a disposer...have a warranty which would simply allow you to return the defective item to the store for a replacement....labor on you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks