Vintage Price Pfister Replacement Parts & How To Identify Model / Part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eldemla

Reaction score
We purchased an old 1960's home and I'm not ready to do a full remodel on the 2nd bathroom (still dealing with doing it on the master) but I'd like to update it. I found a 3 handle replacement for the shower/tub in ORB finish but I need to find the trip lever and bathtub drain plug and assembly with the same finish.

Does anyone know if these parts have the model number stamped on them somewhere to help identify them? When I look at replacement parts NOT made by PP they tend to have different sizes from each other and I really want to make sure I have an exact fit. I can't find any info on the size of these original parts. If I have to take off the parts to measure them, do I measure from the back, or the front of the trip lever and for the drain plug and assembly, the outside measurements?

Honestly, I should have stuck with chrome - it would have been a LOT easier to find these parts!

TIA for any help!

phister-19-020-terrylove-01.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The easiest thing will be to remove the trip lever, and replace it with a blank cover,and replace the tub flange with a strainer type or a lift and turn type. You will not find any numbers on the parts. From the 60's, the PP barrel is probably brass, and you might find the same size replacement at a plumbing store. Finding a trip lever in ORB might be harder.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The trip lever is generic so they ALL fit it. The drain plug DOES have a generic fine thread, so if you find a "small" ORB finish strainer, which will have a fine thread, (and there are many aftermarket companies making them), it also will fit. Most "push/pull" conversion units also have the proper fine thread stainer, (with a bushing to convert it to the 1 1/2" ips coarse thread version), and a flush overflow plate. Pfister ONLY makes that drain in chrome finish, so there are no "OEM" oil rubbed bronze strainer assemblies.

Last edited:

Eldemla

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies - sorry it took me so long to get back on here to see them.

That's good to know about the trip lever, now it seems the drain screen may be the problem. The one I have has a screw in the middle and is flat, with the ring attached to the tub. What I'm finding in ORB is a domed piece, no ring. I would need to replace both pieces, OR can the ring be easily removed and would the domed one piece go over this and sufficiently cover the entire area, and fit correctly?:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no way to tell if the "ring" actually the drain fitting will be easily removed until you try it. The odds are that it will NOT be and will have to be carefully cut out, not an easy job for a DIYer, but no big deal for a qualified plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks