PEX and UV Light

Users who are viewing this thread

sbd001

Reaction score
Greetings All !!!

Because of Katrina, I now have the "opportunity" to do some remodeling on my house (built 1911), and one project is replacing all potable water plumbing. My current system is about .0001" ID rust wrapped with galvanized pipe. Flow - what's that? ;-)

Anyway, I've been investigating the PEX route for some time now, and have a question about UV resistance and indirect sunlight. My house is raised about 2.5 feet, sitting on brick piers, so the crawl space is exposed to the world. I really like the ability to crawl under the house and access all the pipes, so I would like to install my new system, whatever it my be, in that crawl space. The space never gets direct sunlight, but it seems to me that indirect sunlight might be a problem.

So the question is this: Is indirect sunlight an issue in an open crawl space? I would of course make every effort to have the tubes installed in the darkest area (center line, but unfortunately perpendicular to floor joists). Fixture lines can be parallel to and up high on joists as they leave center line toward outer walls.

Again, is indirect sunlight an issue in an open crawl space?

Thanks for any help, and what a great site!
Steve

PS. Not planning to diy this project.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Direct sunlight is definitely a problem. I believe the manufacturers state that pex should not be exposed to sunlight for more than 30 days. I would contact them to see if the "indirect" light in a crawl space is a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks