outside odor smells like septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

dhop11

Reaction score
i have an up hill septic tank(s) 1 holding tank 1000 gls and 1 septic tank 1000 gls when someone takes a shower or flushes toilet we have a bad smell at the back of the house i thnk it is coming from vent pipes on top of house but have never been there at that point to smell it wondering if any way to stop the smell ??

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
All sewer (methane) gas from septic or sewer systems vents through the roof.
Higher hills, trees, buildings, etc. around your home, and/or the prevailing breezes, can cause an inversion from time to time that keeps the sewer gas down where it can be smelled instead of "blown away".
One solution might be a higher vent pipe(s). Two feet higher might make the difference in your particular case. You'll just have to experiment.
If your vents are plastic (black ABS or white PVC), it will be very easy to glue on a collar and extension pipe.
Try that.
Good luck!
Mike

dhop11

Reaction score
tried that but looked bad sticking up that high what about those studer vents people talk about would that work also? i have 3 pipes dont know which one or could be all of them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Studor vents let air IN, and you need the vents to let gas OUT.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks