Tankless propane water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

HANK WHITE

Reaction score
THE TAKAGI WOULDN'T START AGAIN THIS MORNING. OUTSIDE TEMP WAS 41 DEGREES, AND GAS (PROPANE)
TEMP WAS 31 DEGREES. NO FIRE AT ALL. BEFORE YOU CRUSH THAT *&^%$# TANKLESS OUTDOOR UNIT, BUY
AN INFRARED THERMOMETER (LIKE THEY USE IN AUTO SHOPS) AND SHOOT A READING ON THE INLET GAS AND H20
PIPES BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART. 31 DEGREE PROPANE WILL HAVE TOO LOW A FLOW RATE NO MATTER
WHAT YOU POUR IT INTO!! IT HAS TO AT LEAST BE WARM ENOUGH TO EVAPORATE INTO SOME KIND OF A FLAMMABLE
GAS. YOU COULD HAVE GAS PIPES THE SIZE OF TOILET DRAINS AND IT MIGHT NOT LIGHT AT ALL, AT 31 DEGREES!!:eek:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
THE TAKAGI WOULDN'T START AGAIN THIS MORNING. OUTSIDE TEMP WAS 41 DEGREES, AND GAS (PROPANE)
TEMP WAS 31 DEGREES. NO FIRE AT ALL. BEFORE YOU CRUSH THAT *&^%$# TANKLESS OUTDOOR UNIT, BUY
AN INFRARED THERMOMETER (LIKE THEY USE IN AUTO SHOPS) AND SHOOT A READING ON THE INLET GAS AND H20
PIPES BEFORE YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART. 31 DEGREE PROPANE WILL HAVE TOO LOW A FLOW RATE NO MATTER
WHAT YOU POUR IT INTO!! IT HAS TO AT LEAST BE WARM ENOUGH TO EVAPORATE INTO SOME KIND OF A FLAMMABLE
GAS. YOU COULD HAVE GAS PIPES THE SIZE OF TOILET DRAINS AND IT MIGHT NOT LIGHT AT ALL, AT 31 DEGREES!!:eek:

Not so sure of that! I have a 200 lb propane tank outside and a Raypak 150K BTU propane spa heater outside. fires up and works fine in 9 degree weather. Long cold winter here last year. about 15 feet of 1/2" steel pipe from tank regulator to heater regulator. Boiling point of propane is -41 degrees. I guess it depends a lot on the size and surface area of the propane tank so it can soak in all that 9 degree heat to warm it up enough to boil off enough gas to meet the demand.:eek:

Propane is expensive too, very expensive.

HANK WHITE

Reaction score
Bobl43;

my takagi lives about 50 feet from the propane tank, and the pipe under the house has no wrap, unlike the h20 pipes.
I think this is my problem, but i need to hire a much skinnier guy to crawl under there and wrap the pipe!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks