(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Irrigation layout questions

Default Irrigation layout questions

I have a curbed in area that I'm going to put sod in. It is a rectangle 15 1/4 feet by 5 1/2 feet. I went into Star Nursery to get their input. The suggested installing 8 nozzles total. Four in the corners and two on each of the long sides and adjust them to about 5 feet of spray. To me that seems like overkill. Can anyone give me an idea of what they think for layout? I suppose I'll be using rainbird nozzles...

Thanks for any advice...

Chris

That only adds up to 6
    My areas between sidewalk and street are the same, I use one 15SST at curb pointed back forwards sidewalk.
    4 areas, 4 heads, 60 psi, 15-20 minutes, no problem
    If Payback is so important to you, why are you not driving a Toyota Corolla?

God never intended grass to be planted in 5 X 15 rectangles, so that is a difficult area to water! I agree with the nursery. To minimize sidewalk spray and runoff, put 90 5' nozzles in each corner, and two (5') on each side....total of eight. That will give you coverage and minimal overspray

I had another recommendation of using one 15' strip nozzle in the middle of each end and one 9' strip nozzle in the middle of each long end for a total of four. That seems like a pretty good option as well..

Rainbird SQ ( square) nozzles will water a 5x5, (to 6x6, depending on the pressure), square area, so three of them, properly spaced, will water the whole area with minimal "overspray".
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by stupid48 View Post
    I had another recommendation of using one 15' strip nozzle in the middle of each end and one 9' strip nozzle in the middle of each long end for a total of four. That seems like a pretty good option as well..
    Hey folks. I'm new here and irrigation was my profession so I'll probably hang out here more so than the other forums.

Strips is what i did as well. Back when brass nozzles were readily available you could bet a 5' flat brass half and triangular space and get beautiful coverage. After they got too pricey and rare I switched to strips after experimenting with various other options. My decision was based more so on less water waste than perfect coverage. I also would advise putting that strip section on its own zone since it tends to be the hottest and driest area due to all the concrete. I found that the Irritrol ES and CS gave the widest pattern so I used those on my RB 1804s.

Probably the most efficient would be MP Rotators. They make side strips can reach 6x16 if you have above 40 psi. They also have left and right corner strips that are like a half a side strip that throw from either the left or right hand sides and are a much better solution than the end strips in my opinion.

Kind of an old thread so not sure the OP is still watching.

I didn't know there were MP Rotator strip nozzles. I agree- that would be my first choice. I have replaced all the spray heads in my yard with MP Rotators. Nice to have slower water delivery, less susceptible to wind and runoff, and look purty too.