(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Question about sewer cleanout pipe cover

Default Question about sewer cleanout pipe cover

Hello,

My neighbor, who is in his 80ís, has a pvc sewer cleanout pipe in his front yard, but the cover is missing, and he doesnít know what happened to it. The cover is supposed to screw into the top of the cleanout pipe. Iíve tried to help him find a replacement, but even though weíve been to several plumbing supply shops, we havenít been able to find one that fits. He wants one that sits at ground level, so that his mower won't damage it.

Everyone that we talk to says that the cleanout pipe is normally a 4 inch pipe, but when we measure the threads at the top of his, we get about 4 5/8 diameter thread to thread. The ones that weíve bought and had to return are about 4 1/2 inches across (thread to thread), and they just wonít fit.

His house is about 38 years old, but I assumed that the sewer cleanout pipe was of a standard size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Louis

Sounds odd to have that much trouble finding a plug. If all else fails, dig out around the pipe, take a hacksaw and cut down below the whole top section (the fitting with the cap) until you have just the 3 or 4 inch pipe sticking up, then go buy you a whole new cleanout adapter and plug. Shouldn't cost but $5. I would advise against putting it at ground level, but it's his yard. The ones at ground level tend to get covered up over the years somehow and then the next homeowner is going around cursing trying to find a cleanout. Or - it gets mowed over because it's "hiding". I leave mine exposed a few inches.

Default Sewer cleanout ruined

I had a PVC threaded cap on the sewer cleanout and when the plumber came out to snake the line for a blockage, he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were, so I just cut off the cap and added a plain 4" PVC pipe with a rubber Fernco cap just below the height of the mower blade.
    Last edited by themp; 11-09-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote; he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were

Either he was NOT a very competent drain cleanor, or he did not have the proper machine, because THAT is the only place I normally snake from and the "interior threads" are NEVER damaged. A photo of your pipe might help because there is NO "normal" plumbing fitting that would measure 4 5/8"
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Quote; he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were

Either he was NOT a very competent drain cleanor, or he did not have the proper machine, because THAT is the only place I normally snake from and the "interior threads" are NEVER damaged. A photo of your pipe might help because there is NO "normal" plumbing fitting that would measure 4 5/8"
    When I say 4 5/8", I am referring to the distance between the threads at the surface. As far as the fitting below the threads, I can't measure that.