Student Project Survey on toilet seats

Users who are viewing this thread

TheToiletMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am doing a project for an entry level engineering class, and I need to identify problems with current toilet seat designs. Does anyone have any specific qualms they could site? It would help me a lot. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Problems with design?

Cleaning
Some make seats that can be removed.

Seats that bang down.
Some seats have slow closing hinges.

Seats that crack.
Some of the composite wood seats will crack, especially for some of the heavier users.

Paints that stain.
This one is pretty obvious.

Bolts that don't stay tight.

Things I like in a seat
Warm to sit down on.
Warm water wash.
Warm air dry
Odor filter
Plastic, so they stay cleaner
Slow closing hinges

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
flat seats suit me fine, my wife hates the ones that are curved in toward the bowl. plastic is better, soft close is pretty nice. removeable is nice. would like to see a two piece toilet seat with a removeable lid. would make it easier to clean the thing in it's entirety. i have a plastic soft close removeable one on there at the moment and it is kind of cumbersome to take it off and wash it when the lid wants to bang around and close when i am trying to clean it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With hundreds of different toilet seat designs, it would be hard to come up with something noone has done previously, but then, obviously, there is no one "perfect" seat either.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Does an odor filter seat exist? It could probably work using the same nano technology they use in clothes.

They are readily available. They incorporate a charcoal filter and a fan that recirculates the air inside the bowl. google 'bidet seat'

I would list some of the same things as Terry: banging, ease of cleanability around the hinges, bolts that don't stay tight.

To some extent all of those problems have been addressed in various ways, including design innovations in the back side of the bowl itself. The cracking of seats, bolt tightness, etc. are mainly already solved in more expensive seats. SO, I think you need to consider in your survey not only what is important or desirable, but also what folks are willing to PAY for.......not always the same answer!

kuby69

Reaction score
I found a remedy for the loud noise of slamming toilet seats and toilet seats getting loose. And it actually helps stabilize the seat. The product is called Toilet Cushy and their website is www.toiletcushy.com I definitely think it is worth the few bucks. Great product!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I found a remedy for the loud noise of slamming toilet seats

There is an even better one, it is called "hold on to the seat while you put it down".

weaver

Reaction score
quote; "hold on to the seat while you put it down".

HJ, Gerry Cunningham, who made backpacking equipment, wrote, " An ounce of technique is worth a pound of equipment". You seem to agree.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks