Uneven fiberglass Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Patrick1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a fiberglass tub with a built in foam bottom that has become uneven over about 3 months. I have access under the house near the drain. The tub is not in a mortar base and was never adhered to the plywood floor (my fault).

The tub is only about 6 months old and I have already done all the finish work for the surround but after using the tub it is not level. There used to be an even 1/8 gap between the tub and surround but now its 1/8 on the wall side and just over 1/4 on the outer part.

My question is can I get under the house and shim the tub up and inject some type of mortar or non expanding grout under there to stop the tub from squeaking and make it level again? I really don't think I can get the tub surround and tub out to redo everything over again since I used liquid nails to adhere the panels.

Patrick1

Reaction score
It is the asb firenze tub, I see a few other people have had bad experience with this tub. I really don't want to uninstall everything since I just finished the bathroom.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are anything like me, you will look at that thing in complete disgust every time you step into the bathroom.

As bad as it seems now, in the long run you will be happier if you rip that thing out and put in a decent one. It's usually easier the 2nd time around too. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One problem seems to be that you did NOT support the perimeter of the tub so it could NOT settle away from the tile. Just "securing" the bottom of the tub is NOT likely to raise the rim and "keep" it raised.

Patrick1

Reaction score
Well I am not sure what I will be able to do since I am already over my origonal budget. If I can get this tub out I dont think they will let me return it since its been a couple months and I dont have any of the origonal packaging. If I do decide to take it out and replace it with something what tub can I get that is a similar size that isn't expensive? I want to be able to reuse the tub surround I really like it.

Patrick1

Reaction score
Well I think I am going to call HD and ask them if I can return the tub... I am not happy with it and I know that I will not be happy with it no matter what I do.

Patrick1

Reaction score
Well I talked to the M.O.D since the manager is out for the day and she said they will call me back tomorrow about returning the tub.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good luck with the return, but it is pretty likely that you will have to eat this one and chalk it off as a learning experience.

Patrick1

Reaction score
You are probably right, anyways I am trying to move on and figure out what to buy as a replacement. I am hoping I can remove the tub surround without breaking it but we will see...

What is decent priced 60x32 tub I can get for a replacement? I am ok with spending a little bit more money but I am already over budget. I just don't want a piece of junk again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What I would call a "good tub" and what "plumber B" would call one can be two different things because it is a "subjective" opinion. There are many 60x32 tubs, with different heights, so you have to do your homework and balance cost with longevity. No matter which tub you choose, however, the way it is installed will determine your satisfaction with it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the return, but it is pretty likely that you will have to eat this one and chalk it off as a learning experience.
Not so sure about that. I've seen people drag stuff back to HD with their receipt that any honest person would be ashamed of, and they took it back as good will for more sales. I think thats a good business model, as HD just puts it in their RTV (return to vendor) dept and either sends it back or "sells" it cheap to an employee.

Patrick1

Reaction score
Ok well when I pulled this tub out and sat in it at HD it seemed to be decent. But after installing it the tub seems like a piece of crap. I guess this is just because I have an un even floor and did not follow directions to the T? They are actually sending me a replacement tub, the exact same model should I install it or am I going to encounter the same problem?

If i reinstall it I play on leveling the floor before I install it and I plan to use an adhesive to set it in. I just don't want to go though all the trouble of ripping it out and re installing it if its going to do the same thing again. It seems many people have the same issue with this particular tub, but it also seems they may not have followed the directions 100 percent.

jmorse

Reaction score
I've installed a Firenze twice and had problems each time. Mine also was not glued to the floor. Squirting "Good Stuff" expanding foam through holes in the floor has not solved the creaking problem. And the tub, being flexible, separates from the grout when you fill it with water and get in for a bath. My recommendation would be to replace it with an Americast tub by American Standard. It's ceramic and has nearly identical measurements to the Firenze. The only hitch is you will have to move the plumbing to the right 2" because unlike with the Firenze, the Americast's plumbing is centered over the outside of the tub.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks