Is this boiler piping correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Westward

Reaction score
The installer said he had never done a hot water system before. He installed the heat pumps and air handlers.

Attachments

• modified BOILER SYSTEM.jpg
    modified BOILER SYSTEM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 509

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume the pump runs continuously which is the reason for the bypass valve. I would have installed an "air scoop" at the boiler to extract any air bubbles BEFORE they got into the system. The upper air vent is merely a "second line of defense" against air bubbles but will be ineffective for the two unit heaters ahead of it.

RustyPipes

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump is on the wrong side of the expansion tank. The air vent should be on top of the expansion tank. There is most likely other things wrong that may be dangerous that don't show here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The expansion tank responds to changes in the boiler due to temperature changes, NOT the pump. An air vent "on top of the expansion tank" would vent the precharge out of the tank. There should be an "air scoop" at the boiler and the air vent would be on top of IT.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pump is on the right side of the expansion tank. Pumps should be installed so that they are pumping away from the tank because away causes no changes in head. Dan Holohans book "Pumping Away" is a must read for any hydronic system installer and especially for a lot of old timers that have been doing things the same (wrong) way for years and years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks