Replacing anode rod, what can go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing the anode rod in my water heater. The heater was installed in late 2005, so it’s about six years old. I’ll probably attempt to break loose the old anode rod before buying a new one. The plan is then to tighten it up afterwards, order the new one and easily loosen it up and install the new one. If I have the new one on hand first, it won’t open (murphy’s law). Other than physically moving the heater and twisting/breaking gas and water pipes, is there any risk to anything breaking by doing this? Any chance that’ll be stuck with a leaky waterheater or something?

Thanks,
Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you drain the water heater, which you do NOT have to do, the heater is NOT going to move so none of the pipes will be disturbed. The worst thing that could happen would be for the weld holding the threaded buss in place could crack, and then you would have to replace the heater.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what you have for tools but I can tell you that you need a big socket and a big breaker bar and probably someone to hold onto the tank also. They are a bear to get out. If you have access to an impact wrench, that's your best bet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks