UTP Video Balun Pair for Cat5

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Anyone know what passive keystone type over cat5 bezel means?

There are two 1/6" holes on the rear, and no instructions of course. Perhaps those top tabs are to engage the cable, but everyone says they only use one wire of the cat 5 cable.....

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You use 1 twisted pair , 2 wires in the Cat5 wire and connect to the 2 connections.

That gives you 3 more pairs for three more Cameras or other things.

Just make sure that you connect the same Pair of wires on the other end of the wire.

Pairs are 1 wire with a solid color then 1 wire with a white strip, and will be twisted together. 2 (Two) Wires.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
thanks. But i screwed up with these, as now I have to screw with cutting off the ends and stripping that little stuff.

Now the dog cut a 200' cat5 cable. Can I splice these in the primitive method, cut strip and wind?

DonL

Reaction score
I'll try again: can one splice cat5 with strip and wind, or must one use crimps and connectors?

If you do splice, You need the keep the TP Twist as tight at possible.

And you do need a RJ45 crimper to crimp the connectors properly.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

DonL

Reaction score
Nice BobL®.

Just make sure that you put the heat shrink on, before making the splice.

And if you do go the connector method, Don't use Crossovers for the RJ45 F-F adapter, Use Straight Thru adapters.

If done correct the splice should be better. Just try to keep the same twist.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Thanks. splice and solder would likely exceed the cost of 200' of cat5 which is down to about 10 bucks and less with connectors. Maybe a muzzle for the dog would be cheaper yet.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Thank you, thats what I should have had.... don't look easy to find.

Alright - have them : http://www.svideo.com/videorj45.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=videorj45

By the way, in way of thanks, to solve your small issue with Iran, I suggest Israel 'borrow' an Iranian fast boat and atack an American destroyer or aircraft carrier in the gulf.

Last edited:

PipeInspection

Reaction score
I'm new here, but was wondering why you would use Cat5 with Video? Cat5 has a 330 feet limitation without a repeater. Does the Power adapter work in place of the repeaters?

Are you using the Video for Security or to watch your plumbing for leaks?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks