Options in replacing a drum trap under tub

Users who are viewing this thread

dave123

Reaction score
I had to remove an old copper drum trap, which was leaking, from beneath the tub in a bathroom. Was installed in 1951. A pic is here:

pipe2.JPG

You can see the area where the trap was removed, as well as the threaded copper tee coming from the tub, and the vent stack disappearing above.

The trap had almost no piping on either side, and only a small amount of pipe was left to try to desolder from the upper tee. No amount of heating with a MAPP would free it. Inside it feels very corroded, and that might be the real problem.

So I'm thinking I have no choice but to remove the wye, the 45, the 90, and the upper tee, and replace all with pvc. Biggest problem there is tying back into the vent, which lies flat in a corner, and impossible to get to from below, requiring making an opening in the plaster wall of the floor above.

But wanted to see what those with more experience think, or if there might be some easier option I'm overlooking.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks