(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reserve Selection for Fleck 7000SXT

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    ..... There must be a reason the unit was set up with a .125 BLFC. I think it is a strange size, but I'm not questioning it.
    The OP questioned why the .125 gpm and personally I think we should question it if for no other reason than it is abnormal, odd and none of us can come up with any reason for it. Otherwise how are we helping the op?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    The OP questioned why the .125 gpm and personally I think we should question it if for no other reason than it is abnormal, odd and none of us can come up with any reason for it. Otherwise how are we helping the op?
    The OP never questioned the BLFC size. This is from him, "Now it's time for me to show my noobieness...it never occurred to me to look at the sticker on the valve for the correct BLFC - it's actually .125 gpm (yet another flaw in the instruction manual...oh well).I agree with helping the OP in every way. But tell me how bashing another member is helping?

He also said he wanted to reduce the time to complete a regeneration and reduce water use, and related it to the .125 gpm taking so long.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I've seen posts in other forums from people who have recently purchased 7000SXT's, and all of them have mentioned they have .125gpm BLFC. I'm going to touch base with Wayne at Pentair - maybe it's the new "standard" - dunno.

I haven't heard anyone here give a significant disadvantage to it, nor an urgent reason to change it, so for now, I'll leave it alone.

mialynette - my comment that you quoted was indeed a "noobie" mistake. At the time, I didn't now there's almost always a sticker on the back of the head showing the BLFC and DLFC - now I know. Also (in that quote), I mentioned a flaw in the manual...I was referring to the 7000SXT Installation Guide from the qualitywaterforless.com website. Here's a link - go to the table on page 16:

http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/v...k/70sxtins.pdf

I'm a little bit frustrated with all of the typo's and mistakes in this manual - especially this one about the BLFC. Oh well...

Wally, I understand. You are new to this stuff. I just did not see where you questioned whether the size was correct or not.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 11-10-2011 at 08:21 PM.

I never questioned the BLFC either, It would be like questioning Fords decision to use a certain engine in a certain model car. Manufacturers do things the way they do for one of two reasons or both. Because it was designed to work that way or cost. Just because someone has never heard of it or seen it before is not a reason to go off the deep end.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 11-10-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Fleck's distributors order the control valves with the injectors, DLFC and BLFC etc. that they want for the softeners and filters they sell to their dealers. The control manufacture does not dictate any of those parts.

If a dealer wants something different, like a .125 BLFC, they tell the distributor and he either swaps parts or orders so many valves in the way the dealer wants them. The dealer also says what brine tank and what resin and resin tank they want. And gravel underbedding if they want it. And a salt grid and what type and with or without leg extensions. Whether they want a safety brine system or not. Etc. etc. unless the distributor has a sale, then the dealer buys what the distributor specs with no changes.

So we are agreed then that nobody here is questioning the .125 BLFC
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 11-11-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    So we are agreed then that nobody here is questioning the .125 BLFC
    I think we're quibbling over symantics here, and the definition of "questioning".

If questioning is: "Gee, Fleck is stupid for using such a small BLFC, the regen times are longer, etc."...then no...I don't think anyone is questioning it. However...

If questioning is: "Hmm, I wonder why Fleck (or dealers) is/are spec'ing .125? Is there an advantage to a slower BF? Better water efficiency? (from reading the Efficiency Guide, there may be). Or would a .5 have less wear & tear on the valve with a shorter BF time? etc, etc."...then yes...I'm questioning it.

Let's drop the word "questioning", and replace it with" "Determining the advantages / disadvantages of .125 versus .5 BLFC."

I agree and I think that we could discuss it here amongst ourselves without resolution. Probably the best thing would be to ask the distributor.

The only way the distributor would know why is if he used a .125 gpm in a 'sale' special' softener, like Watts is known to do but...

Wally more than likely didn't buy his softener from a distributor because the vast majority do not sell retail. So he bought it from a dealer of a distributor and IIRC, his dealer is not communicating with him. Maybe he bought if from a Watts dealer, now that would make sense since IMO Watts does a lot of odd ball stuff.

i can't see any advantages for the smaller BLFC, but a disadvantage would be the possiblity of debri being trapped in the flow control because it's smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    The only way the distributor would know why is if he used a .125 gpm in a 'sale' special' softener, like Watts is known to do but...

Wally more than likely didn't buy his softener from a distributor because the vast majority do not sell retail. So he bought it from a dealer of a distributor and IIRC, his dealer is not communicating with him. Maybe he bought if from a Watts dealer, now that would make sense since IMO Watts does a lot of odd ball stuff.
    Yes, dealer pardon and I don't know, I don't buy Watts water conditioning equipment.

I can't remember how to do multiple quotes in a reply, so...

Gary: I got it from qualitywaterforless.com. As I said, I don't want to deter anyone from dealing with them - price was fair, shipping was quick and free and packaged well. And they did eventually respond to my email. I guess my only complaints (which I will share with them on their survey) are:

1. Their reply to my email ref programming was a little odd (remember 12 min BF?)
    2. I wish they showed the BLFC in the spec's on the webpage - and it's incorrect in their on-line manual.

Dunno if there was a sale, but maybe Fleck had an overage of .125's they had to get rid of. Who knows?

mialynette: I'll keep an eye out for debris clogging issues. Thanx.

Tom: I agree. I think we've exhausted this issue. Since it doesn't sound like there's any "critical" issues with it, I think I'll leave it alone (unless Gary wants to swing over in the motorhome and change it for me .

If there are no further objections...meeting adjourned.

I second the motion