Shower drain removal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

bja

Reaction score
Help !

I am removing the shower pan in my 25 year old home and have hit a roadblock. The pan is loose but is being held in by the drain. Never having installed a shower pan before, I don't have a clue how it goes together or comes apart.

When I look down into the drain I see what appears the be a 2" diameter PVC drain pipe. The pipe goes donw about 6" and then turns.

To the outside of the pipe there is what appears to be a tight fitting rubber gasket. The gasket is between the shower pan and the pipe.

Is that all that is holding everthing in place? What is the best way to remove the gasket?

Is there something else that I am missing ? How do I get the drain apart ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sometimes shower drains are glued to the pipe. Based on your description, this is not the case, and the rubber gasket is it. It is quite firmly attached due age. You will have to dig it out with some screwdrivers. Some plumbers grease, or for that matter some good extra-virgin olive oil added to the situation may ease the process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks