Tub surround question

Users who are viewing this thread

Khayes

Reaction score
I've just finished installing a new Roman tub faucet where I had to remove a section of tile and backer board to gain access to remove the old fixtures and install the new ones. The builder did not provide an access panel. My question is: do I have to go back an re-install backer board or can I use 1/2" birch plywood or even drywall as a backer. I already have both on hand. The area in question is 4 6x6 tiles, the surface is vertical and is not really subject to moisture. I hate to buy a whole piece of CBU for this small area. Also, can I use a pre-mixed thinset or mastic to replace the tiles?
Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I do recommend treating as a wet area. But one way would be to use the plywood , tape the seams with fibrelgass tape and the mastic, and coat with Redguard. Of course a gallon of Redguard will cost about the same as a sheet of backer board! But is easier to handle, and you might later have other uses for the leftovers.

Premixed thinset is ok. Mastic is fine, but technically in a wet area be sure to get a mastic listed at TYPE 1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks