Need to Fill and Redrill Frameless Shower Door Mounting Holes

Users who are viewing this thread

jkmason

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm in the process of mounting a frameless glass shower door. First attempt was off by about 1/8".

My mounting holes are 5/16" wide (4 per mounting bracket) and drilled through 1/2" beige travertine. The holes will be hidden behind the mounting bracket.

I picked up a scrap piece of travertine and drilled a couple of 5/16" holes to practice filling and redrilling.

My first attempt was to fill with Bondo. After the product set, I drilled another adjacent hole, but the drill bit just slid into the softer Bondo.

What would be a good product to use in this situation?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What I've done in the past was to use some stainless steel wool and epoxy to fill the hole. Then, to keep the drill from walking sideways, I use a dremel tool to start the hole or a wood block as a guide hot glued to the tile or stone.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One idea would be to drill a small hole..say 1/8" ...at the new location, then use a Roto with a sprial bit to "worry" that hole big enough for your anchor or bolt.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A diamond core bit has no center point - it's essentially a piece of pipe with diamond dust on the end...it probably wouldn't walk. What's the finish on the door? Could you just make the hole a little bigger? A rotary device like a RotoZip with a carbide bit could probably make the hole bigger fairly easily...travertine isn't all that hard.

jkmason

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice and all the great ideas. I love the idea of mixing in the stainless steel wool. That got me to thinking. I decided to mix up some crushed travertine (1/8" average size) along with the bondo. I'm working on a test hole to see how it drills. I'm also going to try the stainless steel wool idea.

I tried the diamond core bit, but really had trouble getting it to stay in one place. Right now I'm using glass/tile bits. I'm going to start out with an 1/8" bit and then move onto my 5/16" bit. I'll let you know how it goes. This HEAVY frameless shower door leaves no room for error or adjustment so I need to drill very accurate holes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The magic on using a core bit is to start it at about a 45-degree angle, get an edge divot, then slowly bring it up so it's vertical. This keeps it from walking around. Another way is to drill a hole through something, double-stick tape it in place, then use it as a guide. If you don't keep it wet, you'll wear it out, though.

jkmason

Reaction score
Hey Jim, since I have the bit I'll try your technique and make sure to keep the bit wet. Thanks, Jack.

jkmason

Reaction score
Back again. Just tried redrilling the newly hardened mix of broken travertine chips and bondo. Worked like a charm. Drilled spot on with no wandering. Thanks everyone for the help. Jack

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks