(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need to Fill and Redrill Frameless Shower Door Mounting Holes

Default Need to Fill and Redrill Frameless Shower Door Mounting Holes

Good morning, I'm in the process of mounting a frameless glass shower door. First attempt was off by about 1/8".

My mounting holes are 5/16" wide (4 per mounting bracket) and drilled through 1/2" beige travertine. The holes will be hidden behind the mounting bracket.

I picked up a scrap piece of travertine and drilled a couple of 5/16" holes to practice filling and redrilling.

My first attempt was to fill with Bondo. After the product set, I drilled another adjacent hole, but the drill bit just slid into the softer Bondo.

What would be a good product to use in this situation?

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

What I've done in the past was to use some stainless steel wool and epoxy to fill the hole. Then, to keep the drill from walking sideways, I use a dremel tool to start the hole or a wood block as a guide hot glued to the tile or stone.

One idea would be to drill a small hole..say 1/8" ...at the new location, then use a Roto with a sprial bit to "worry" that hole big enough for your anchor or bolt.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A diamond core bit has no center point - it's essentially a piece of pipe with diamond dust on the end...it probably wouldn't walk. What's the finish on the door? Could you just make the hole a little bigger? A rotary device like a RotoZip with a carbide bit could probably make the hole bigger fairly easily...travertine isn't all that hard.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks everyone for the advice and all the great ideas. I love the idea of mixing in the stainless steel wool. That got me to thinking. I decided to mix up some crushed travertine (1/8" average size) along with the bondo. I'm working on a test hole to see how it drills. I'm also going to try the stainless steel wool idea.

I tried the diamond core bit, but really had trouble getting it to stay in one place. Right now I'm using glass/tile bits. I'm going to start out with an 1/8" bit and then move onto my 5/16" bit. I'll let you know how it goes. This HEAVY frameless shower door leaves no room for error or adjustment so I need to drill very accurate holes.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The magic on using a core bit is to start it at about a 45-degree angle, get an edge divot, then slowly bring it up so it's vertical. This keeps it from walking around. Another way is to drill a hole through something, double-stick tape it in place, then use it as a guide. If you don't keep it wet, you'll wear it out, though.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Hey Jim, since I have the bit I'll try your technique and make sure to keep the bit wet. Thanks, Jack.

Back again. Just tried redrilling the newly hardened mix of broken travertine chips and bondo. Worked like a charm. Drilled spot on with no wandering. Thanks everyone for the help. Jack