Another America bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
One of the things where America really does do a poor job compared to Europe is on homelessness and mental illness.

The situation really is appauling in America.

The system is set up so that people can and do get left behind.

So I'm forced to see homeless people on the streets and mentally ill people speaking to themselves on the train most days I have to go to work.

Since there's little in the way of Government handouts and heathcare for people that slip through the net here, we're left facing this mess.

In Europe you see nowhere near the numbers of homeless or mentally ill people as you do in America because Europeans care and don't mind paying taxes to help out the most vulnerable segments of their population.

Not so in America...

America needs a bigger Federal Government with longer arms to reach into our lives and your pockets.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tell me about the gypsies ( 'Irish travelers') and how well they are treated across Europe!!!!!!!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Later in the 19th century, Romani immigration was forbidden on a racial basis in areas outside Europe, mostly in the English speaking world (in 1885 the United States outlawed the entry of the Roma) and also in some South American countries (in 1880 Argentina adopted a similar policy).

Cookie

Reaction score
I talk to them. DO you? You know, winter is coming up, you could take a blanket, somewinter coats,boots,gloves, and say, here... without expecting a thank you. Give them something. Evenif, nothing more than conversation. Sure, sometimes, you have no idea what you are talking about, but, who cares, I sit and talk to anyone, anywhere.

So many people will walk right by them,like they don't exist. You can help by quit complaining and do something for them. If you see the same ones day in and day out, and you grab a coffee somewhere to take with on the train, buy 2 and a donut. If you notice, he needs a coat, take a coat with you, do more than just nothing. Some people call me names, because they think, I am saying or doing something, to look " wonderful" hell, I want nothing. Just don't like to see people hurt. You would be amazed if you talk to them. I believe, everyone is just one-foot step away from the same conditions, it does not take much.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I talk to them. DO you? You know, winter is coming up, you could take a blanket, somewinter coats,boots,gloves, and say, here... without expecting a thank you. Give them something. Evenif, nothing more than conversation. Sure, sometimes, you have no idea what you are talking about, but, who cares, I sit and talk to anyone, anywhere.

So many people will walk right by them,like they don't exist. You can help by quit complaining and do something for them. If you see the same ones day in and day out, and you grab a coffee somewhere to take with on the train, buy 2 and a donut. If you notice, he needs a coat, take a coat with you, do more than just nothing. Some people call me names, because they think, I am saying or doing something, to look " wonderful" hell, I want nothing. Just don't like to see people hurt. You would be amazed if you talk to them. I believe, everyone is just one-foot step away from the same conditions, it does not take much.

Cookie you have the right attitute. You talk to anyone, anywhere? I'm shocked!;)

And complaining like Ian does, is worthless, but you care enough to make a difference.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think it is easier to make a difference one person at a time, one moment at a time; I know, what Ian is saying, but, in the process of doing something so grand, so many will eventually, perish from cold, illness and hunger. Their needs are now. I commend Ian for wanting to add more ways to make things better for those in need, but, I don't see it as being forced to look at them, like my eyes are so dainty I can only look at things of beauty, or forced to see people talk to theirselves. They are usually thought of as possible, rapists, murderers or drug addicts. Yet, those people can come in 3 pc suits. Use alot of commonsense all the time with people. Even those you think, you do know. Ian is a good person, without people like him, who would fix the laws or want to, make things better, but, inbetween the making; we could do our small part to make one person's life a tadbit, better.

...As always, use commonsense, and don't go anywhere with anyone you don't know.

and, yes, complaining is a no-win situation most of the times, it is not productive of much. But, who knows, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Later in the 19th century, Romani immigration was forbidden on a racial basis in areas outside Europe, mostly in the English speaking world (in 1885 the United States outlawed the entry of the Roma) and also in some South American countries (in 1880 Argentina adopted a similar policy).

Who cares about 1885. In 2011 your warmhearted British homies threw these folks out of their homes in England.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/10/19/uk-traveller-eviction.html

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
logging 8-2011 272.jpg
Tell me about the gypsies ( 'Irish travelers') and how well they are treated across Europe!!!!!!!

About 90% of all crime in Slovakia is gypsy oriented. They are a very strange bunch indeed, and you no more want to visit their homespots than go to a late night bar in Gary, Indiana.

The girls do provide very competent services to travelers along main hi-ways for very modest fees, this is one trade they have mastered. Just be sure their 12 brothers are not in the bushes. And don't get in the center of 20] 6 year old Gyp kids. They'll take your pants off over your head and you will never know it. Keep a pocketful of change in your pocket to toss in the air so you can make your run.

http://www.slovakia.org/society-roma.htm

I did honor their old culture with this wagon, from when they were wandering minstrels and tinkers and smiths, prior to being poisoned by the russian welfare state. You still see a few over there.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Look, there were 10 years of negotiations to try and find a peaceful solution to this, so what they are doing is probably the right thing. The travellers built without planning permission. And the case was heard by your equivalent of the Supreme Court, I think on more than one occassion.

Just because people build things in America without permits, does not mean that Great Britain should follow.

America declared independence because its people did not want to follow the rules.

The English respect permits.

They also built on "green belt" land. I suppose most Americans wouldn't have a problem if someone built a home in one of their national parks?

Heck, you can't even open a shop in some towns here.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Nevada trip, misc, 0ctober 21 2001 260.jpg

We have room for a few 'Irish travellers'. They could even scrape up salt and make a living. It would take the BLM -Bureau of land managment -a year just to notice them here. They could break wild horses and eat the excess burro's to make a living.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
We used to take better care of them but the money ran out and of course, lawyers had to get involved and cause liability insurance for group home's and providers to go through the roof. coupled with corruption within the system and lax oversight of institutions the whole system began to break down about 25 years ago. Many of the homeless folks on the street have some sort of mental illness associated with their condition. This is one of those subjects that everyone likes to weigh in on but I caution anyone to do some research before opening one's mouth. It is not a black and white issue and viable solutions are few and far between. The moral question to ask yourselves is why have these peoples families abandoned them?

Cookie

Reaction score
Schizophrenia is one of the reasons you will find those in that condition, aimlessly,living as they do. Or a drug addition. Or both. What is very sad is the fact, and it is a fact, that almost half are men who are veterans. Does that make you think? One out of 50 homeless, will be a child. That is a fact. You can't force people to do what is morally right, to care, it is what it is. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip. With the economy being such as it is, it is increasing the numbers of those without homes.

That is why, it takes more laws, and I agree with Ian on the tax to help these people, because simply, you cannot depend on people's families or people in general.

People have gotten quite astute in looking the other way when it looks like it might cost them something. It's the old, I forgot my wallet routine. Or, the, I don't know, when it comes to helping another.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks