(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generac Portable Generator

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Thats the American spirit! Close another factory in wisconsin employing 6,000 people so those little Chinese can make the so called Japanese "honda's'. For a bowl of rice a day. And double the price. And triple it after every US storm.

The Honda is rat poison to our country and the Briggs is your saviour.
    You are simply a fool, and you don't know what you are talking about.
    You DO NOT know me and you are making stupid assumptions. I am one of the most pro-buy-American people I know, for as many thins as I can, small or large.
    I do two things when making a large(er) purchase. I look for where it is made and how good the quality is. Unfortunately this does not always lead to American made. If it leads me to Japanese, Canadian, or European made items so be it. Manufacturing has become a global market anyway.

YES, IMO close down a factory that is producing JUNK. Just because we make it here does not make it good stuff. Look at American cars from the late 70's thru early 90's. Almost ALL junk!
    If a Briggs genny is junk, and a Honda is top quality I am buying Honda if at all possible.

Unions are the rat poison you speak of demanding unrealistic wages and benefits for workers who are basically just on-the-job trained. As soon as we start making quality merchandise here it WILL sell. Until then keep shopping at walmart and target and buying cheap chinese sh*t products. DO not blame Honda's superior quality, blame the American consumer and Sam Walton.

Also, show me some facts that Honda generators are made in China. I'd like to see what you come up with.

If this posts gets me a scolding I don't give a damn. You are out of line and need a reality check!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Forum master, dont scold or delete, we can handle ourselves please....

Only vulgar, knuckle scraping imbeciles need use the word 'fool' on a forum. You have also applied that phrase to the previous 2 posters, if you bother to read them..

Here is one warehouse full of your precious Chinese Hondas that will put 6,715 more or less American workers out of business:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/prod...da_engine.html

[be sure to scroll down to see the full sabotage of America]

Briggs is still the WORLDS largest MFG of small engines and most of them are still made here. Fly your little American flag [made in China] on your Honda lawn mower?

I hope you have lots of Briggs union customers owing you money when they hit the line outside the burger king for a job app. Got a lot of jobs from Japan or china lately? DUH.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eng...g%20locations/

Like so many others, you have fallen for colorful marketing, and the good rep of honda motorcycles, which have no relationship to their assault on Briggs with a scam motor. By the way, your absurd remarks about union crooks requires me to point out to you again that the Briggs guy has a house in the USA and might call you for work . Now, look up the cost of replacement Chinese Honda engines vs. USA ones, and the Hondas are MORE money. The money Honda saves on labor by feeding their child workers old rice goes right in their pocket.

Sit by your phone and wait for that service call in hang-wai-woo province!
    Last edited by ballvalve; 11-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Warning Gentlemen

Unless we are adding something constructive to this thread then letís stop posting.

No more about NFTA, it doesnít have anything to do with original post.

And please no more personal attacks. If you want to talk junk about one or the other brand please do so without talking junk about each other.

Forum master, dont scold or delete, we can handle ourselves please....

Only vulgar, knuckle scraping imbeciles need use the word 'fool' on a forum. You have also applied that phrase to the previous 2 posters, if you bother to read them..
    Wow, nice. You're joking, right??? The use of that word certainly has it's place on forums as it lets us get our point across with having to censor profanity, which unfortunately fits the situation better. I was thinking of a lot of other words as I types "fool".
    I do not fall for marketing, as you accuse. On the contrary, I am the type to expose sketchy marketing. Once again, you do NOT know me. Do NOT profess to.

I am not talking about a certain Honda engine, which BTW is the bottom of the line engine put on other people's cheap generators simply to say they have a "Honda" engine.
    Find me a Honda generator that is made in China.

I have owned or installed MANY "Briggs" generators in one form or another. For the most part they are junk IMO.

I have way more union guys calling ME for jobs than I do calling me for work. I am small time and I am swamped. I have five AMERICAN MADE Generac standby units to install in the next moth alone, on top of being already booked solid. The union argument is NOT one you will EVER sway my opinion on.

YOU were the one to make this personal and political. I can go all day on this with you, but I don't want to drag this thread down bickering with the likes of you.

Sorry JW, hopefully the FALSE accusations and conjecture on the part of other members will stop.

I have to rate Honda as easily the best generators I have worked on.

Briggs, Generac, Coleman, and every other common US brand do not compare favorably.....

We have sold some Cummins-Onan and Wacker branded Inverter-Generators and they have been totally reliable. No one that bought one had any problem and rave about them...Robin-Subaru engines.....

Honda's sell for considerably more generally but are worth it in reliability.

A year or two ago I disassembled a Honda EU3000 (Inverter-Generator). The engine was shot......We thought maybe we could get a replacement engine for it and fix it.....It took me hours to get it apart and it was such a complex assembly it would have been extremely tough to get it back together correctly. AND I can generally disassemble anything and put it back together RIGHT! I said it was built to withstand a ThermoNuclear event.......LOL

I called a local Honda dealer and asked their shop guy if he ever did a job like this.....NO was his answer and he said they could hardly recall working on one.....They are a big internet supplier of Honda's...

I took the pile of parts and tossed it in the scrap dumpster.....

One of my best friends is a retired UNION electrician.....He was a jobsite foreman for many years. Mulitmillion dollar jobs.....He retired at 60. He made a very good living but definately worked some tough jobs and conditions. Most people in the union these days have very little work and are out of work more than they are working. My friends nephew put over 20 years in with the union.....In the last 5-10 years he's worked steadily very little.....Spent lots of time collecting unemployment and waiting for work......He went to work with my company and has been working for us for a year.....wages are no where near what his union scale was but he has lots of things he never had as a union worker and OT is pretty plentifull. I once worked as an electrician and could have gotten in the union.....for a price since that is how it was done back than. If I had I would probably be retired like my friend.....Times are way different....

JW, since you are raising up a bunch of electricians, when we lose 7,000 manufacturing jobs, and the infrastructure that keeps it alive, your students might not have much left to do, so I suggest this "modification" of the thread is quite constructive.

I have owned or installed MANY "Briggs" generators in one form or another. For the most part they are junk IMO.

I have way more union guys calling ME for jobs than I do calling me for work. I am small time and I am swamped. I have five AMERICAN MADE Generac standby units to install in the next moth alone, on top of being already booked solid. The union argument is NOT one you will EVER sway my opinion on.
    You should read the wall street journal more often: Those fantastic Generac's are made by, and the company simply a branch of Briggs and Stratton. So thanks for buying Briggs and American.

A year or two ago I disassembled a Honda EU3000 (Inverter-Generator). The engine was shot......We thought maybe we could get a replacement engine for it and fix it.....It took me hours to get it apart and it was such a complex assembly it would have been extremely tough to get it back together correctly. AND I can generally disassemble anything and put it back together RIGHT! I said it was built to withstand a ThermoNuclear event.......LOL

I called a local Honda dealer and asked their shop guy if he ever did a job like this.....NO was his answer and he said they could hardly recall working on one.....They are a big internet supplier of Honda's...

I took the pile of parts and tossed it in the scrap dumpster.....
    That seems like a very odd defense - a non repairable engine. How would you like it if that was in your car? Billy bob can fix a Briggs [a Generac] and get an English speaking human on the phone in about 30 seconds. The first rule of engineering, you may well know is simplify, simplify.

Here is a forum on briggs vs generac. Looks like ford VS chevy. http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/v...php?f=3&t=9930
    Last edited by ballvalve; 11-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.

JW, since you are raising up a bunch of electricians, when we lose 7,000 manufacturing jobs, and the infrastructure that keeps it alive, your students might not have much left to do, so I suggest this "modification" of the thread is quite constructive.
    This is not an electrical problem.
    This is not something that a DIYer can solve.

This is a political problem and something that needs to be addressed at the voting poles and not here on this forum.

Take heed that this thread is very close to being closed.

You should read the wall street journal more often: Those fantastic Generac's are made by, and the company simply a branch of Briggs and Stratton. So thanks for buying Briggs and American.
    Generac is NOT Briggs. That is like saying a Neon is the same as a Chrysler.

JW, I am impressed you let us play so long, but it is an important issue, American manufacturing is directly responsible for a position for your students to be placed into.

And if you actually were a part of the Rock of the Marne, you will know how critical it is that this country protect its manufacturing base when the next and inevitable real war starts up.

If this thread disturbs your sense of electricity, please send it over to IANs spot where I am sure he would be pleased to let us argue - ugly and insensibly, as Spedepete took it to.

But as I know you, this is the end of our DEBATE. I wish Terry would give you more direction to accept diversions in your forum, but as I recall he had a very bad experience with a past electrical forum boss and will not rock your boat.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 11-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Generac is NOT Briggs. That is like saying a Neon is the same as a Chrysler.

Generac IS somehow part of Briggs.......If I try to get a part for a Generac it is a Briggs labeled part. I don't know the details of why this is but Generacs have Briggs engines and the electrical parts I've gotten recently for Generacs come in Briggs boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Generac IS somehow part of Briggs.......If I try to get a part for a Generac it is a Briggs labeled part. I don't know the details of why this is but Generacs have Briggs engines and the electrical parts I've gotten recently for Generacs come in Briggs boxes.
    Yeah, in the same way that a part for a Geo Metro and a Corvette both come in GM boxes.

Briggs has long been making Motors and Parts for many Manufactures.

They went to crape when they started putting California Plastic Carburetors on their engines.
    After learning from Mistake, They have continued to make a descent product, For Many Company's.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Yeah, in the same way that a part for a Geo Metro and a Corvette both come in GM boxes.

Your analogies don't work to me at all .....

Foreign built cars have nothing to do with small portable USA built generators...

If Generac uses Briggs engines......and they do on under 15 kw units...and they sell replacement parts in Briggs boxes....it's reasonable to assume Generac has a big connection or is owned by Briggs....

Briggs owns a pile of companies with familiar names from everything I have read.

Almost all generators are built using various components from different suppliers....like a huge assortment of machines...

Engines from one manufacturer
    Generator ends from somewhere else....and they use commonly available items like voltage regulators......
    They build the frame and add their wiring and controls.....
    and label the unit as theirs....

Import built stuff is built the same way......but most of the electrical components are junk and the engines are "knockoffs"
    They copy the Honda engines in every way.....size shape and colors.....they actuallly run decent and last.....The electrical compnonets don't.

I have worked on MANY larger Generac standby generators.......

Just had a home unit labeled as a GE and sold by Home Depot.....It was a Briggs......same as the ones we sell that are labeled as Briggs...

And if you actually were a part of the Rock of the Marne, you will know how critical it is that this country protect its manufacturing base when the next and inevitable real war starts up.
    It is a fairly closed mind that thinks down a one way street. Being that this is what you want to discuss instead of the topic I want you to put one thought in mind before you make unfounded statements about something that you know little about.

Instead of letting the free trade of the world take place why donít we keep everything that we need and consume all in one place? Instead of buying from our neighbor why donít we just produce what we need ourselves? Now this neighbor can be someone in another country, state, county, or right next door. The end result is the same. Donít spend a dime for anything but instead make it ourselves. This is the quickest way to become a third world country known to mankind.

Being part of the Rock opens my eyes to the fact that I cannot do it by myself but need the help of those around me in order to survive. I am open minded enough to see that those around me is not limited to those who live next door.

Medicine is one very good example. There is one medicine that I need on a regular basis that cost more than $800 at my local drug store. This very same medicine, made by the same manufacturer here in the good ole USA sells for less than $30 in Mexico or Canada. Is this due to third world countries or is due to the sue happy good ole USA? If it donít work hire a lawyer and make him rich.

As one can see this hogwash about everything leaving America has to do more with America than anyone else. We have done this to ourselves with our demands of higher pay and more benefits. Overtime for anything over 15 minutes of labor and a 55 minute break for every hour of work.
    Letís get America back on line. People get money for work done not for standing around a drink machine. Make the rules simple, no work equals no food.

But as I know you, this is the end of our DEBATE. I wish Terry would give you more direction to accept diversions in your forum, but as I recall he had a very bad experience with a past electrical forum boss and will not rock your boat.
    Terry has not addressed me or this thread but I know that he formed this discussion forum to aid those needing advice about an electrical problem not to discuss the world trade problems.
    So bearing that in mind letís try to keep the discussion about the topic at hand and leave those things concerning elections out of the discussion. If you are not happy with the free trade agreement then do something in November but not here.

Occupy This.