Want to know best way to tie in new utlity sink drain into washer drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Nfreight

Reaction score
2011-11-029509.21.25.jpg
I want to add a utility sink next to the washer in the garage. I have already plumbed in the supply lines for the sink, but I'm not sure how to install the drain. Currently, working from left to right the the washer drains into a 4" pipe with a P-Trap then extends horizontally about 12" then tees into the vent/drain pipe. About 8"-10" below this is the clean out which opens to the garage and sits just above the slab. The garge floor sits about 8" below the current clean out. The sink will be placed to the right. So my question is can I insert a new tee fitting above the drain pipe for the washer for the clean out, and use the original clean out access to attach the drain for the sink? Would I need to add a vent line that I could splice into the drain line for the washer and up and into the original vent pipe? Is so, are there specisific distances and lengths that should be used?

Thank you! 2011-11-029509.21.25.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could add a 2x1.5 santee below the washer, pointed toward your laundry tray and add a vent between that and the p-trap, which will then revent higher up on the existing washer vent at about 42" above the floor.

You will need the vent for the laundry tray if you bring it in below the washer or the washer will siphon the trap when it drains.

A pretty easy job.

Nfreight

Reaction score
So you don't recommend using the existing cleanout to connect the sink drain and installing a new one above the washer drain/vent pipe connection? My concern is that I will have to place the sink on a raised platform if I do what I think you recommended to allow flow from the sink.

Just to clarify, based on your original recommendation the Santee Fitting would go in between the the clean out and Tee for the washer and I would then vent off the pipe from the Santee to the sink P-Trap. Is the vent pipe going to be seen outside the drywall when replaced? Thanks in advance for clarifying for me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't use the cleanout, it doesn't have the right bend for that (If it's a cleanout tee)
If it's a santee with a cleanout fitting glued into it, then it could be used, assuming it's vented beteen the tee and the trap.

I would leave that, and install a tee in the wall pointing to the right, with a vent that revents and then 90 out of the wall toward the sink.

Nfreight

Reaction score
Presentation1.jpg
So essentially I need to do something like what I am showing in the attached drawing, or am I misunderstanding what you are recommending?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's pretty much it.
The fitting for the vent on the trap arm, since it's on the horizontal is supposed to be a wye or combo fitting; we used to use a santee there about ten years ago.

But yes, you understand it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks