Calling for Heat but Boiler will not fire up Help Help

Users who are viewing this thread

queen2neptune

Reaction score
Hi - I am learning! I have a Weil McLain Gold boiler with 5 zones and with a honeywell triple aquastat -- set at 190 H 160 L diff 25. Yesterday we replaced the Taco circulator thinking this was the problem why the boiler will not start when it calls for heat. We have plenty of hot water. It seems that the boiler will only fire up when it needs to heat the hot water.

Why are the outer rooms so cold? The heat is not working properly -- only a little heat is coming thru?

We have bled each zone to get out any air that might be in the pipes.

Also is the Taco circulator suppose to be hot to the touch.

I really do not want to call a technician to come out again - first of all they are no help and then charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Help Help Help

What could it be? Should we bleed the pipes longer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Frustrated Home owner

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow, oil burner service technicians in PA that are no help? That's pretty amazing. I wonder what they do all day because I'm pretty sure any trained burner tech can solve this one in about 3 minutes give or take.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the burner comes on, but the zones are not getting heat, it's one of several possibilities: are the zone valve(s) opening?, is the circulator pump running?, are all of the valves open?, is there air in the system? Zone valves usually have a manual open lever or some means to open them, if they're not opening properly. Useful, also, while trying to bleed the system.

Purging air can be problematic, depending on the design and technique. What is the water pressure in the heating loop? Typically, it would be in the 15# range. What does the water temperature do? is it really being maintained within the limits of the aquastat?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is a triple aquastat then it's a honeywell r8182 which IIRC was never std equipment on a WM Gold so I think you have a dual aquastat which would be the honeywell L8124 You never said circ's or zone valves but I'm assuming zone valves so.....one of two things is happening. #1 the transformer that powers the zone valves is dead or two, the aquastat relay on the 8124 is fried. I am assuming of course that the system had been operating OK before and that the wiring is correct.

queen2neptune

Reaction score
Wow, oil burner service technicians in PA that are no help? That's pretty amazing. I wonder what they do all day because I'm pretty sure any trained burner tech can solve this one in about 3 minutes give or take.

I am sure there are service technicians in PA that would be able to assist me - I am trying to avoid that.

queen2neptune

Reaction score
The zone valves have two settings auto and open - all the zones are on auto. I only switch it to open when I am bleeding the pipes. We just replaced the circulator pump so I am guessing that it is working - to the touch the circulator is hot.

Is there air in the system - that I do not know? Maybe? We initial bled all the zones.

The water pressure is 15 to 19 range

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I am sure there are service technicians in PA that would be able to assist me - I am trying to avoid that.

Why? It's probably cheaper than replacing components (such as circulator pumps) willy nilly until it works.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the layout, it can be challenging to get all of the air out of the system. Does the pressure change alot when running? That is a sign of some air trapped, as it will expand more than the water.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would there be air in the system? Because you changed the circulator and drained it down? But... I have to assume that you changed the circulator because you thought it was the source of your problem which it probably is not.

You can keep messing with it if you want but I'd bet it's an electrical problem and if you do the wrong thing you will fry other components. Call a service technician before you spend more time and money than you need too. I can't troubleshoot it from here and neither can anyone else. All I can do is give you some reasons but without the technical knowledge to test circuits and such you are pretty much shooting in the dark.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks