(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: advice on wire gauge for built in oven

Quote Originally Posted by mtcummins View Post
    Ok, I guess I should have said on this thread. I'm sure I'll post on it again, but I'm tired of this pissing match with jw when its clearly going nowhere. I'm not giving up on everyone though
    I think that a lot of people feel the same way.

He is very knowledgeable.

He needs to come to Texas to buy him a new hat.

They make them big in Texas.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I think that a lot of people feel the same way.

He is very knowledgeable.

He needs to come to Texas to buy him a new hat.

They make them big in Texas.
    Haha. Thanks for this... gave me a good laugh.

I do agree, jw is definitely very knowledgeable. He probably knows the theory better than anyone on here (or at least has spouted it off more). The buck doesn't stop at theory though, and sometimes people just don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcummins View Post
    Haha. Thanks for this... gave me a good laugh.

I do agree, jw is definitely very knowledgeable. He probably knows the theory better than anyone on here (or at least has spouted it off more). The buck doesn't stop at theory though, and sometimes people just don't get that.

Yes there is nothing better than "Been There Done That"

I am an Old Fart, But still have a lot to learn.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Don and Mt I do appreciate the words of kindness. I have dedicated my life to education of the electrical trade. That is the reason why I accepted the position I have on this site as well as others.

The one thing that I know for sure and certain is that the only way a GFCI will open is with a difference between the two conductors. There is no motor or tool on today’s market will trip one unless there is something going on between the device and the equipment that causes a difference in the current between the two conductors.

Take a 15 amp device and load it to 30 or 40 amps and it will not open the device. I have seen 15 amp GFCI receptacles where a portable electric heater was plugged in that were all but melted but it didn’t open. There was never a difference between the two conductors.

When a GFCI does open and we can’t explain why it opened we all tend to blame the device. Instead of blaming the device we would be a lot wiser if we found out why the device opened instead of standing and blindly blaming the device.

The train of thought of not having any piece of equipment plugged into a GFCI protected device just goes to show how limited our knowledge truly is. Commercial kitchen equipment has been operating on GFCI protected circuits for more than 10 years so to just blindly say that a refrigerator shouldn’t be plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle just goes to show how little we know about such things.

If it were true that these devices opened for no apparent reason how long do you think they would stay required in commercial kitchens such as your local steak house. If the commercial kitchens was losing all that food because the freezer they have for special items in quit working because a GFCI randomly tripped how long do you think the requirement would stay in the codes. There would be everyone from the owner to the health department down the back of the code making panels and the requirement would be changed quicker than you could wink.

There is a big difference in what we think we know and what we know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Don and Mt I do appreciate the words of kindness. I have dedicated my life to education of the electrical trade. That is the reason why I accepted the position I have on this site as well as others.
    There is a big difference in what we think we know and what we know for sure.
    Sorry that are words of kindness are not welcome.

Where I come from , If You Dish it out then You need to be able to take it.

We all know that you know your stuff, there is no doubt about that. You have a lot of useful knowledge.

But , if you look at the Original Posters that come back to the forums, what is it 10 %.

We never did hear if the Oven ever did get wired or what the outcome was. The OP may have got shocked installing a un-needed GFI.

We never did mean to hurt your feelings.

Other Posters or Electricians get ran off just because they feel Bullied, I do not blame them.
    We loose a lot of knowledgeable and experienced Forum users right off the bat.

We all want to help, But the P****** contest is going to be Won but the Youngest person,
    Not the one with the most Experience...

You are Great at what You do, And some people may be just as smart as You are,
    And we all appreciate if we have are head up are butt, And You tell us, Even when it is hard to hear you.

Do not take it personal.

But if You ever come to Houston, I have a friend that custom fits hats, I will buy You one.

DonL
    Last edited by jwelectric; 12-13-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted post
    Last edited by jwelectric; 12-14-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Deleted post

Why, I thought that was very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Why, I thought that was very cool.
    me too, really.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Commercial kitchen equipment has been operating on GFCI protected circuits for more than 10 years so to just blindly say that a refrigerator shouldn’t be plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle just goes to show how little we know about such things.
    But they do not use 8$ GFCI outlets from Won hung low industries. Usually a breaker, built to some real standard.

someone use the trademarked word or are you a little ******* off? lol. it's pretty pointless to delete posts.
    Last edited by jwelectric; 12-14-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Letís watch our language gentlemen. I have pitchers of my Great Grand Kids in my wallet and they are blushing.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    But they do not use 8$ GFCI outlets from Won hung low industries. Usually a breaker, built to some real standard.
    I have a question and don’t know but one way to ask it but don’t mean to sound insulting.

Are you so naÔve as to think that the receptacles are made at one place and the breaker is made at another?
    Depending on what brand you are buying both are made here in the good ole USA and some of both of them are made elsewhere.

I have a question and don’t know but one way to ask it but don’t mean to sound insulting.

Are you so naÔve as to think that the receptacles are made at one place and the breaker is made at another?
    Depending on what brand you are buying both are made here in the good ole USA and some of both of them are made elsewhere.
    I believe it has been asked several times what brands you like to use, as many of us have had bad experiences. Maybe the brand and its associated build quality is one of the issues... what do you recommend?

Let’s watch our language gentlemen. I have pitchers of my Great Grand Kids in my wallet and they are blushing.
    pictures is what you meant, correct? (as long as you are deleting and/or correcting things)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    pictures is what you meant, correct? (as long as you are deleting and/or correcting things)
    Thank you for the correction